Diagonal Series/Parallel Circuit

• Thread starter mirroredeyes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the student got a question back that they did not solve for R2,R3,R4. They only got 2.613A correct which was R1. They asked for help and the instructor said that the student should lose three marks. It is up to the student to ask their instructor how they should go about fixing the mistake.
mirroredeyes
I got my test back and was reviewing my question, to find out that I didn't even solve for R2,R3,R4 Current, correctly.

I only got 2.613A correct which was R1, could anyone possibly help me out. I know for parallel circuits voltage drop is equal across circuit but my R1 was in series with the combined resistors, meaning there was a voltage drop.

Attachments

• FRuq6yuh.jpg
    FRuq6yuh.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 20190417_17215101.jpg
    20190417_17215101.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 426
Engineering news on Phys.org
That image is too dim for me to see. Can you post a better one? Use brighter lighting to make the photo.

anorlunda said:
That image is too dim for me to see. Can you post a better one? Use brighter lighting to make the photo.

Attachments

• 20190417_17215101.jpg
    20190417_17215101.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 386
100/38 ≠ 2.613
Otherwise it looks ok to me.

Likes mirroredeyes
DaveE said:
100/38 ≠ 2.613
Otherwise it looks ok to me.

Thank you Dave! wow... how did I mess that one up badly. Would you say I should lose 3 marks though? I did properly apply the laws and solve but just made a calculation error.

OK so far but they also want to know how the 2.613A is shared between the other resistors. One way to find the remaining current: you can easily find the volts across the triangle of resistors and then the current through each leg.

mirroredeyes said:
Thank you Dave! wow... how did I mess that one up badly. Would you say I should lose 3 marks though? I did properly apply the laws and solve but just made a calculation error.
It's not really for me to say, ask your instructor.
If I was focused on teaching concepts, I wouldn't mark off that much. However, I would also want answer in more general terms like I1 = V/(R1+R2||(R3+R4)). Then the numbers would be found last, after the equations.
But, there is a school of thought in engineering classes that the final results matter. If your bridge collapses or your circuit electrocutes someone, no one cares why or how you were wrong. This is more like the real world, where you need to check your results for errors (there will be errors, we all do that). Sometimes instructors want to make that clear with harsh penalties.

1. What is a diagonal series/parallel circuit?

A diagonal series/parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel circuits. It contains both series and parallel connections within the same circuit.

2. How does a diagonal series/parallel circuit differ from a regular series or parallel circuit?

A diagonal series/parallel circuit differs from a regular series or parallel circuit in that it has both series and parallel connections, whereas a regular circuit will only have one or the other. This allows for more complex circuit configurations and can be used to achieve specific electrical properties.

3. What are the advantages of using a diagonal series/parallel circuit?

The advantages of using a diagonal series/parallel circuit include the ability to customize the circuit for specific electrical properties, such as resistance, current, and voltage. It also allows for more efficient use of components and can provide redundancy in case of component failure.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of a diagonal series/parallel circuit?

One potential drawback of a diagonal series/parallel circuit is that it can be more complex and difficult to troubleshoot if there is an issue. It also requires more components and may be more expensive to build compared to a regular series or parallel circuit.

5. How can I calculate the total resistance of a diagonal series/parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a diagonal series/parallel circuit, you can use the following formula: 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This formula takes into account both the series and parallel connections within the circuit. Alternatively, you can use a circuit simulator or a multimeter to measure the total resistance.