1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation is hard

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    !!!For The Love of GOD!!! Diff Eq

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have done this problem 3 times. I am getting a sign error somewhere and I cannot find it.

When I solve this DE and then plug it back into the original, it is not checking out!!! Can anybody see my error? I would really appreciate a second set of eyes here. Clearly I am at that point where I just keep seeing what I think I am supposed to see!

[​IMG]

Re writing the solution to the DE with the new constants is

[tex]x=-3/2\cos4t+3\sin4t+7/2\cos4t+1/2\sin4t=2\cos4t+19/4\sin4t[/tex]
    [tex]y=3\cos4t-7/2\sin4t[/tex]

But when I differentiate and plug back into either if the originals, I am coming up with two sign errors...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

At one point in your solution you have:
    [tex]4 k_1+ (-2- 4i)k_2= 0[/tex]
    and then
    [tex]k_1= \frac{-2- 4i}{4}k_2[/tex]
    It should be
    [tex]k_1= \frac{2+ 4i}{4}k_2[/tex]

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    I do not understand why it should be positive? From the matrix I have [itex]4k_1+(-2-\lambda)k_2[/itex] where lambda=4i......unless I am interpreting matrices wrong??

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4

Vid

Basic Algebra.

4K1 - (2+4i)k2 = 0
    K1 = (2+4i)k2/4

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5
    Okay. Obviously I am misinterpreting how a matrix operates. Not how to do basic algebra.

I was just kidding, maybe that was inappropriate...my bad.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  7. Apr 12, 2008 #6
    If the original equation was
    x'=2x-5y
    y'=4x-2y

To find the charectaristic equation I create this matrix thing...I don't know what it is called

[tex]
    \left[\begin{array}{cc}2-\lambda & -5 \\ 4 & -2-\lambda\end{array}\right]=0[/tex]

Now if I plug in [itex]\lambda= 4i[/itex] to the 2nd row, how do you suppose I will get anything positive?

8. Apr 12, 2008 #7
    Can anybody see what I am doing wrong in this procedure? What am I misunderstanding?

If I plug [itex]\lambda=4i[/itex] into [itex]-2-\lambda[/itex] why would I get 2+4i ?

I have five more problems similar to this and cannot move on until I clear this up.

Any help would be great!

9. Apr 12, 2008 #8

Kind of desperate here.....

10. Apr 12, 2008 #9

Vid

Do you still not see the glaring algebra error in the bottom left...?

11. Apr 12, 2008 #10
    Thank you. That's all I needed....

12. Apr 12, 2008 #11
    Your K1 value is where the sign error is. Change it to what Hallsofivy did and solve again from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?