1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation problem

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    The last example on my homework assignment this week is this: Solve the following differential equation.

[tex]y'' + 2y' + y = e^{-x}[/tex]

I started by solving it like it was y'' + 2y' +y = 0 (Instert y = e^ax and so on) and got the following equation and solution:

[tex]e^{ax}(a^2 + 2a + 1) = 0 => a = -1[/tex]

[tex]y'' + 2y' + y = 0, y = e^{-x}(k_1x + k_2)[/tex]

Since the right side of the original equation is of the form Me^hx, and h is a solution to the equation above (a = -1), I tried inserting f(x) = Axe^(-x).

From that I got that f'(x) = Ae^(-x) - Axe^(-x) and f''(x) = Axe^(-x) -2Ae^(-x).

But when I insert that into the original equation everything cancels out and I'm left with e^(-x) = 0. Since that never applies I'm inclined to think that there are no solutions to the equation. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You might try a particular solution of the form f(x)=Ax^(2)e^(-x)

4. Apr 11, 2004 #3
    That doesn't seem to work, I get that A should equal both 0 and 1/2. I've also tried Ae^-x, which didn't work either.

5. Apr 11, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

f(x)=Ax^(2)e^(-x)
    f'(x)=2Axe^(-x)-Ax^(2)e^(-x)
    f''(x)=Ax^(2)e^(-x)-4Axe^(-x)+2Ae^(-x)
    f''+2f'+f=2Ae^(-x)-->A=1/2

6. Apr 11, 2004 #5
    Hmm... I must have made some mistake. Well, thanks a lot for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?