Is There a Solution to This Differential Equation Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and the process the speaker went through to try and find a solution. They tried different forms of the equation and eventually concluded that there are no solutions.
Gunni
The last example on my homework assignment this week is this: Solve the following differential equation.

[tex]y'' + 2y' + y = e^{-x}[/tex]

I started by solving it like it was y'' + 2y' +y = 0 (Instert y = e^ax and so on) and got the following equation and solution:

[tex]e^{ax}(a^2 + 2a + 1) = 0 => a = -1[/tex]

[tex]y'' + 2y' + y = 0, y = e^{-x}(k_1x + k_2)[/tex]

Since the right side of the original equation is of the form Me^hx, and h is a solution to the equation above (a = -1), I tried inserting f(x) = Axe^(-x).

From that I got that f'(x) = Ae^(-x) - Axe^(-x) and f''(x) = Axe^(-x) -2Ae^(-x).

But when I insert that into the original equation everything cancels out and I'm left with e^(-x) = 0. Since that never applies I'm inclined to think that there are no solutions to the equation. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try a particular solution of the form f(x)=Ax^(2)e^(-x)

That doesn't seem to work, I get that A should equal both 0 and 1/2. I've also tried Ae^-x, which didn't work either.

f(x)=Ax^(2)e^(-x)
f'(x)=2Axe^(-x)-Ax^(2)e^(-x)
f''(x)=Ax^(2)e^(-x)-4Axe^(-x)+2Ae^(-x)
f''+2f'+f=2Ae^(-x)-->A=1/2

Hmm... I must have made some mistake. Well, thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is a differential equation problem?

A differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the quantity, and the equation itself shows the relationship between the quantity and its derivative. Differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world phenomena.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically model real-world situations and predict how systems will change over time. They are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Without differential equations, it would be much more difficult to understand and analyze complex systems.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several different types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve functions of a single variable and are commonly used to describe the behavior of systems over time. PDEs involve functions of multiple variables and are used to describe the behavior of systems in space. SDEs involve random variables and are used to model systems that are affected by random events.

4. How do you solve a differential equation problem?

The method used to solve a differential equation problem depends on the type of equation and its complexity. Some equations can be solved analytically, which means that a closed-form solution can be found using mathematical techniques. Others may require numerical methods, which involve using computers to approximate the solution. Additionally, some equations may not have a general solution and can only be solved for specific initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have countless real-world applications. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting the spread of epidemics, analyzing the behavior of electric circuits, and understanding the motion of objects under the influence of forces. They are also used in fields such as economics, finance, and ecology to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.