Digitial Camera

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
Go for the Canon Powersot a530. I love mine and my parents love thiers and they even use theirs for professional pictures, too. Not a bad price either for the quality and performance.
That's too big though. We have one at the office and I'm not thrilled by it. I've seen other small camera's take much better pictures.

The picture is ok, but I think there are cameras that have alot more features out there for similar price.

Last edited:
Can't go too wrong with Canon. Under $200, you'd be looking for a sale price but Canon lenses are second only to Leica.
But Panasonic uses Leica lenses and they are terrific. You might want to check here Cyrus

http://www.dpreview.com/

Perhaps this one qualifies because it's overtaken by a bigger brother it's probably dumped at lower prices (perhaps check ebay):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/

If it has to fit in a pocket:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

If you can go a little over $200, you must check out the Canon SD870.
I have this camera and I must say it's absolutely amazing.

From my experience in lower end cameras canon has had the most accurate lifelike colors.

Update, I'd personally picked this one for about 199.99

Andre, some of those cameras are still too big. Basically, I want it to be no bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 you showed is way, way too big. It's not something I would even consider buying. Were I to buy a camera that big, I might as well just buy a full sized professional NIKON from my office mate.(Who has a few for sale if anyone is interested) It's going to run you several hundred though, these are pro cameras and equipment.

You did not state that in the OP, Cyrus. I simply showed what best quality you could get for $200. And no, the FZ8 isn't that big as it looks although it will not fit in a pocket. Have a look you at the TZ3 in my previous post

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cyrus, check out the optical zoom on those cameras, if you care about that. Most cameras come with 3X-5X zoom (and few start at 28mm); Olympus goes up to 7X and Panasonic has a 10X Leica lens. If you really care a lot about the extra wide angle and telephoto capability, the choice is clear. If not, look into the Canon SD series.

turbo
Gold Member
Andre has posted some pretty impressive shots made with a compact Panasonic/Leica camera, and if I was looking for a small camera, that's where I would start. I love my Canons, but I still have my Olympus 3040 Zoom for times when I want to have something compact to throw into a pocket of a parka, hunting jacket, etc. It's just a bit big for a shirt pocket, but still handy to have at times. Plus, I can set the presets for my wife (flash/red-eye reduction/optical zoom only, etc) and she can turn it on in program mode and get pretty good shots of family functions, birthday parties, etc.

Shots I made with the FZ8:

BBF.JPG

feedingtime.JPG

butterfly3.PNG

fz-8.jpg

Shots I made with the FZ8:
Those are nice shots, but they were taken with a camera im not even considering to buy.

Im considering the powershot. But this one is 250.00. I've seen lesser models for 200, so whats 50.00 getting me on this one that isnt on the other one?

Which model of the Powershot are you looking at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im considering the powershot. But this one is 250.00. I've seen lesser models for 200, so whats 50.00 getting me on this one that isnt on the other one?
Basically more megapixles and better video capability.

Here is a different page from the sites Andre posted. It features all of the Cannon line up features and comparable price shopping.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: