Dimension of angular displacement, velocity and acceleration

In summary, the question is asking for dimensions of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.
grigabuoy

Homework Statement

I have a homework question that I do not understand. I have searched everwhere for the answer. I think I did not find the answer because I am do not understnad waht the question is asking for. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

The question is: What are the dimensions of angular displacement, and angular velocity, and angular acceleration?

Can someone in simple terms explain what I am suppose to be looking for. The section in my textbook made no reference to dimension of anything.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure they are looking for the dimensional units for angular motion. Have you seen dimensional analysis before?

I agree with the above poster...look at your text, see the appropriate equation and solve for the units.

For example, E = Fd, so the units are N.m = J

Sorry Decan, I mean no disrespect at all but I think that they may be asking for something different.

For example, the dimensions of velocity are [tex]\frac{L}{T}[/tex] where L represents the dimension of length and T represents the dimension of time (which should make sense). The dimensions of acceleration are [tex]\frac{L}{T^{2}}[/tex] which should also make sense.

I have not studied angular motion grigabuoy so I am afraid that I will not be comfortable with giving you a definite answer to your question, hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps in this regard.

By the way, if you haven't learned about dimensional analysis yet, do so quickly. It is very useful for ensuring that your equations are correct on tests, as well as other things.

edit: removed my assumed dimensional units once Kurdt clarified, thanks.

Last edited:
Angle is considered one of the fundamental dimensions along with length, time and mass. Like the post above all you must do it seems is state the dimensions of the quantities based upon previous knowledge. Angular velocity and acceleration are analagous to normal velocity and acceleration.

I agree that the term 'dimension' is not the same as units. The dimensions for angular displacement would be angle; angular velocity would be angle per unit time; and angular velocity would be angle per unit time per unit time.

The working unit for angle is radians, which is unitless. The working unit for time is second.

The units for the above then would be radians, radians/s and radians/s^2.

Not a problem...I misunderstood the question :)

Thanks

I think I finally got what I needed. If there is anything else I will be sure to ask. This information gives me something to run with.

Thanks,
grigabuoy

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in the angular position of an object or particle. It is usually denoted by the symbol "θ" and is measured in radians. It can also be defined as the angle swept by a line from the initial position to the final position of a rotating object.

2. How is angular velocity defined?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is denoted by the symbol "ω" and is measured in radians per second (rad/s). It can also be defined as the change in angular position per unit time.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the equation: v = rω, where "v" is the linear velocity, "r" is the radius of rotation, and "ω" is the angular velocity. This means that for a given angular velocity, the linear velocity increases with an increase in the radius of rotation.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is denoted by the symbol "α" and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s2). It can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time taken for that change to occur.

5. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and angular acceleration?

Tangential acceleration refers to the change in linear velocity of a particle or object, while angular acceleration refers to the change in angular velocity. Tangential acceleration is caused by a change in the magnitude of linear velocity, while angular acceleration is caused by a change in the direction of angular velocity.