Double integral conversion to polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function, x^2y, over a quarter circle in the top left quadrant with boundaries 0 to a along the y-axis and boundaries 0 to -sqrt(a^2-y^2) along the negative x-axis. The conversation covers integrating with respect to r and θ, the correct expression for cos2θ, and the use of r in the integrand. Both methods of integration (wrt r first, then θ and vice versa) result in the same answer, a^6/12.
ProPatto16
i have no idea how to use the functions on here to ill try my best.

[tex]\int[/tex](upper bound a lower bound 0)[tex]\int[/tex](upper bound 0 lower bound -sqrt(a2-y2) of the function x2y.dxdy

firstly trying to map it out...

i think its the quarter circle in the top left quadrant with boundaries 0 to a along y-axis and boundaries 0 to -sqrt(a2-y2) along -ve x-axis.

assuming that is right, and x=rcos[tex]\theta[/tex] amd y=rsin[tex]\theta[/tex] so then the function needing to be integrated is (r2cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]*rsin[tex]\theta[/tex])rdrd[tex]\theta[/tex]

the radius r is equal to a so sub in for r and integrate the function and all that. is that the right track??

sorry if its hard to understand :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ProPatto16! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a theta: θ and a square-root: √ :wink:)
ProPatto16 said:
… the radius r is equal to a so sub in for r and integrate the function and all that. is that the right track??

you were doing fine down to (r2cos2θ*rsinθ)rdrdθ :smile:

but no, you can't sub in a for r, you have to integrate wrt r, and then put r = a (and 0) :wink:

Oh. That's going to be a long integration -.-
Thank you sir!

so do you meanbelow? (click on it to see tex code)
[tex] \int_0^a \int_0^{-\sqrt{y^2-a^2}}dxdy x^2y[/tex]

The second integral sign, swap those bounds around and swap a and y in the square root. But otherwise yes! Jealous much!

ProPatto16 said:
Oh. That's going to be a long integration -.-

nooo … two short integrations :biggrin:

you can split it up into two separate integrals, one over r and one over θ. :wink:

But I thought to do that you had to have both integrating variables separate? The variable r is in both functions and cannot be factored out of either?

Or do you mean integrate with respect to r then respect to theta?

ProPatto16 said:
But I thought to do that you had to have both integrating variables separate? The variable r is in both functions and cannot be factored out of either?

No, the integrand is a product (which can be separated), and the limits are independent …

what are the limits? :wink:

Limits are 0 and a for one and the other one limits are 0 and the -ve root thing?

nooo :redface: … the other one is for θ

what are the limits for θ ? :smile:

Intuitively, it would have to be between pi/2 and pi?

ProPatto16 said:
Intuitively, it would have to be between pi/2 and pi?

Why "intuitively" ? :confused:

Yes, π/2 ≤ θ ≤ π …

the whole point of changing variables was to get the r and θ limits independent of each other! :smile:

Intuition says for the quarter circle to be in upper left quadrant then that would have to be range of theta? Haha. Maybe not the right word. But made my point. And so then the integrand in respect to theta is evaluated with those bounds?

yes!

sooo … ? :smile:

So integrate with respect to theta then sub in bounds then integrate the solution with respect to r and sub in a?
Which would give a numerical answer multiplied by a?

ProPatto16 said:
Which would give a numerical answer multiplied by a?

Do it and see! :smile:

(in fact, do it both ways …

integrate wrt θ first, then r, then try integrating wrt r first, then θ :wink:)​

okay. i just typed up a huge long reply took me 45min and then i went to post and the page expired! so now I am soooo angry I am just going to go through it quick and hope you understand.

first thing. I am integrating wrt theta first, then r.

second thing, the integral of cos2theta.

integral of cos2x is 0.5x + 0.25sin(2x) so do i just replace the x with theta giving 0.5+0.25sin(2theta)? i will continue on having done that.

from there first i multiplied through the extra r that is in the end and then integrated wrt theta to get:

[(r3(0.5+0.25sin(2theta)))*(-r2cos(theta)] between pi and pi/2

evaluating that gives [(r3)(0.5)(r2), since some of the trig things are 0... which then becomes 0.5r5

now integrate that between a and 0

gives [r6/12] then just sub in the a giving a final answer of a6/12

the only two questions in that are can i multiply the r through at the start of do i have to do it during each integration?
and is that expression for cos2theta correct?

"At the start or* do I have to.."
Wouldn't let me edit.

Hi ProPatto16! :smile:
ProPatto16 said:
the only two questions in that are can i multiply the r through at the start of do i have to do it during each integration?
and is that expression for cos2theta correct?

Yes, cos2x = (1 + cos2x)/2, so the integral is x/2 + (sin2x)/4 + constant :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean about the r, but if you try integrating the other way round (wrt r first, then θ), you'll see that you get the same result. :wink:

1. What is the purpose of converting a double integral to polar coordinates?

The purpose of converting a double integral to polar coordinates is to simplify the integration process for certain types of geometric shapes, such as circles, spirals, and other curves that are not easily described in rectangular coordinates. This conversion allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of the integral.

2. How do you convert a double integral to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral to polar coordinates, you must first identify the limits of integration in terms of the polar angle (theta) and radius (r). Then, you can substitute the polar coordinate variables (r and theta) into the integrand and change the differential of integration to drdtheta. Finally, evaluate the integral using the new limits of integration.

3. When should you use polar coordinates for a double integral?

Polar coordinates should be used for a double integral when the region of integration is better described in terms of polar coordinates, such as when the shape is circular or has rotational symmetry. It is also useful when dealing with integrals involving trigonometric functions, as these can often be simplified in polar coordinates.

4. What are the limitations of converting a double integral to polar coordinates?

Converting a double integral to polar coordinates is limited to integrals with regions of integration that have circular or rotational symmetry. It is not suitable for more complex shapes, such as ellipses or irregular polygons. Additionally, some integrals may be more difficult to evaluate in polar coordinates compared to rectangular coordinates.

5. Can you convert a triple integral to polar coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to convert a triple integral to polar coordinates. This can be done by first converting the limits of integration to polar coordinates for each variable (r, theta, and phi), and then substituting these variables into the integrand. The resulting integral can then be evaluated using the new limits of integration.