Double integral help please? polar and cartesian

In summary: The problem did not ask you to calculate the anulus area, but to use a double integral because you might have to exercise on double integrals.
bombz

Homework Statement

Okay here's the problem:

Consider the region R interior to a circle(of r =2) and exterior to a circle(r=1).

1.Using cartesian coords and double integral, calc the area of annulus.

2. repeat calculation above but using double integral with polar coords

The Attempt at a Solution

So for 1, did I set it up right?

4 * (double integral, both bounds from 0 to 2) of [tex]\sqrt{(4-x^2)}[/tex] dydx - 4 * (double integral, both bounds from 0 to 1) of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

---------------

and this is 2, did i set it up right?

First bound is the outer integral, the one for dtheta

(double integral)(first bound 0 to 2 * PI)(Second: -2 to 2) of r dr dtheta - (double integral)(first bound 0 to 2 *PI)(second: -1 to 1) of r dr dtheta

--------------
How do I solve these any further? I completely forgot. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bombz! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

your cartesian integral is fine (use a trig substitution to solve it), but in your polar integral you can't have negative values of the r coordinate :wink:

Dear tiny tim :)

What would be the lower bound for r then?? Would I just multiply the whole integral by 2 and make the bounds go from 0 to 2 and the other 0 to 1?

hi bombz! :smile:

you can do this with one double integral instead of two (that's the advantage of polar coordinates in this problem) :wink:

for each value of θ, r goes from 1 to 2, doesn't it?

and then θ goes from 0 to 2π :smile:

bombz said:
So for 1, did I set it up right?

4 * (double integral, both bounds from 0 to 2) of [tex]\sqrt{(4-x^2)}[/tex] dydx - 4 * (double integral, both bounds from 0 to 1) of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

It's really not clear what you do here.
And if I understand what you did, it's wrong.
The problem did not ask you a short way to calculate the anulus area, but to use a double integral because you might have to exercise on double integrals.

Is this your cartesian integral ?

[tex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{4-x^2}\ dy dx - 4\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{1-x^2}\ dy dx[/tex]

Yes, quinzio, that was my cartesian integral. Except there's a 4 in front of the first integral. You wrote it correctly the way I have it in my work. It did ask me to calculate the area of the annulus though. so can't I do what I did?And tiny-tim, thank you :) You put me on track with the polar coords :)

so I got the following for polar coordinates then:

(Double integral)(first bound 0 to 2 * PI)(Second bound: 1 to 2) of r dr dtheta

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Polar integral is ok, and very easy of course.

Cartesian integral is not correct.

Quinzio said:
Polar integral is ok, and very easy of course.

Cartesian integral is not correct.

Why is the Cartesian integral wrong? I take 1/4 slice of the circle, calculate area of the big circle and then calculate the area of the small circle and subtract them out to receive the area of the annulus.

your cartesian integral is fine :smile:

1. What is a double integral in polar and cartesian coordinates?

A double integral in polar and cartesian coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume under a curved surface. In polar coordinates, the double integral represents the volume between two polar curves, while in cartesian coordinates, it represents the volume between two cartesian curves.

2. How do I convert between polar and cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to cartesian coordinates, use the following formulas: x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle. To convert from cartesian to polar coordinates, use the formulas: r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and theta = arctan(y/x).

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve, while a double integral calculates the volume under a curved surface. In other words, a single integral is a 2D representation, while a double integral is a 3D representation.

4. How do I set up a double integral in polar and cartesian coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the double integral is set up as ∫∫f(r, theta) r dr dtheta, where f(r, theta) is the function being integrated and r and theta are the limits of integration. In cartesian coordinates, the double integral is set up as ∫∫f(x, y) dx dy, where f(x, y) is the function being integrated and x and y are the limits of integration.

5. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in double integrals?

Using polar coordinates in double integrals can make certain calculations easier, particularly when dealing with circular or symmetric regions. It can also provide a more intuitive understanding of the volume being calculated.