Double integrals with an absolute value

In summary, you need to divide the equation into two sections, evaluate the first in the interior of the unit circle and the second in the square that includes the vertices (2,2), (-2,2), (2,-2), and (2,2). This should give you the function of y. After that, you can do the same thing in the first quadrant, but only integrate in the first quadrant.
spanishmaths

Homework Statement

Im getting very confused with working out how to integrate the following double integral with an absolute value:
[tex]\int^{2}_{-2}\int^{2}_{-2}\left|x^{2}+y^{2}-1\right|dxdy[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to split it down into where it is positive and negative, so when evaluating the inside one (ie with respect to x), we would have three sections, between -2 and 1 , between -1 and 1 (here we would multiply the function by -1) and then between 1 and 2.
This should give a function of y , which we would then integrate with respect to y and evaluate at exactly the same limits.
Is this correct? I have done it and it gives a very funny looking answer, so I thought I'd check here.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. [itex]x^2+ y^2- 1[/itex] changes sign when [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex], the unit circle. You need to divide this into two sections, yes, but not individual values of x and y.

You want
[tex]\int_A\int (1- x^2-y^2) dxdy+ \int_B\int (x^2+ y^2- 1) dxdy[/tex]
where A is the interior of the unit circle and B is the portion of the square with vertices (2,2), (-2,2), (2,-2), and (2,2) that is outside that circle. The first integral is easy in polar coordinates. Because the second integral has one boundary that is a circle and another that is a square, that is going to be complicated in any coordinate system. I think I would do it in four separate sections:
[tex]\int_{x=-2}^{-1}\int_{y= -2}^{2} (x^2+ y^2+ 1) dydx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x= -1}^1 \int_{y= \sqrt{1- x^2}^2} (x^2+ y^2+ 1)dydx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x= -1}^1 \int_{y= -2}^{-\sqrt{1- x^2}}(x^2+ y^2+ 1)dydx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x= 1}^2\int_{y= -2}^2(x^2+ y^2+ 1)dydx[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
You want
[tex]\int_A\int (1- x^2-y^2) dxdy+ \int_B\int (x^2+ y^2- 1) dxdy[/tex]
where A is the interior of the unit circle and B is the portion of the square with vertices

[tex]\int_{x=-2}^{-1}\int_{y= -2}^{2} (x^2+ y^2+ 1) dydx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x= -1}^1 \int_{y= \sqrt{1- x^2}^2} (x^2+ y^2+ 1)dydx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x= -1}^1 \int_{y= -2}^{-\sqrt{1- x^2}}(x^2+ y^2+ 1)dydx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{x= 1}^2\int_{y= -2}^2(x^2+ y^2+ 1)dydx[/tex]
Those last 4 integrands appear to be in error.

I would use symmetry then integrate only in the first quadrant.

[tex]\int^{2}_{-2}\int^{2}_{-2}\left|x^{2}+y^{2}-1\right|dxdy=4\,\int_0^{\,2}\int^{\,2}_{0}\left|x^{2}+y^{2}-1\right|dxdy[/tex]

You can then split the integral up into the sum of three integrals.

There are a couple of "cute" ways it can be done, also.

What is a double integral with an absolute value?

A double integral with an absolute value is a type of mathematical operation used to find the area between a function and the x-axis or y-axis on a 2-dimensional graph. It involves taking the integral of the absolute value of the function over a specific region.

Why is a double integral with an absolute value important?

A double integral with an absolute value is important because it allows us to calculate the area of regions that are not easily defined using a single integral. It also has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between a double integral with an absolute value and a regular double integral?

The main difference between a double integral with an absolute value and a regular double integral is that the absolute value operation makes the result always positive. This is useful when calculating areas or finding the absolute value of a function.

How do you solve a double integral with an absolute value?

To solve a double integral with an absolute value, you can first find the regular double integral by integrating the absolute value function over the given region. Then, you can use the properties of absolute value to simplify the result and find the final answer.

What are some real-life applications of double integrals with an absolute value?

Double integrals with an absolute value have various real-life applications, such as finding the area under a curve, calculating work done by a variable force, determining the moment of inertia of a 2-dimensional object, and finding the center of mass of a 2-dimensional object.