Relativity of Simultaneity & C Invariance Doubts

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and a thought experiment involving a train and two bolts of lightning. The observer on the train perceives the bolts as not simultaneous due to their speed and distance. However, this contradicts the theory of special relativity. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering different frames of reference.
printfede
Hi all, I'm trying to understand relativity for the first time. First of all I'm sorry for my bad English, I'll try to be as clear as possible.
My doubt is the following: In my books and on many web sites I have red the thought experiment of the train and the two bolts of lightning to explain the relativity of the simultaneity ( like that in this video). In this thought experiment the observer on the train perceives the two events (the bolts of lightning at the end of the vehicle) as not simultaneous because, going to the right, he is reached first by the light beam coming from the right, though he is at the same distance from both events. But I think it implies that if the train has a speed of v in relation to the ground, the speed of the light beam coming from the right in relation to the train should be c+v, and that of the light beam coming from the left c-v, because if the speed of the two beams of light were c for both the beams the observer on the train would be reached simultaneusly by them, but it's in contrast to the SR imho.
If i wasn't clear please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
printfede said:
because if the speed of the two beams of light were c for both the beams the observer on the train would be reached simultaneusly by them, but it's in contrast to the SR imho.
No. You could only conclude that if the two lightning flashes occurred simultaneously according to the train frame observers. But they don't.

The argument is this: Looking at things from the ground frame, we can prove that the light from each flash will reach the observer in the middle of the train at different times. (This is a fact true for everyone.) Then using this fact, and the fact that the speed of light is c for everyone, we can deduce that the lightning flashes could not have occurred simultaneously in the train frame.

Thanks for the answer. Brief and clear.

1. What is the relativity of simultaneity?

The relativity of simultaneity is a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity that states that simultaneity is not absolute, but relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that events that are simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference.

2. How does the relativity of simultaneity affect our perception of time?

The relativity of simultaneity challenges our traditional understanding of time as a universal and absolute concept. It suggests that time is relative and can be experienced differently by observers in different frames of reference. This means that what may be considered as "simultaneous" events for one observer may not be the same for another observer.

3. What is C invariance and how does it relate to the theory of relativity?

C invariance, or Lorentz invariance, is a fundamental principle in Einstein's theory of relativity that states that the laws of physics should remain the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. This means that the laws of physics are invariant, or unchanged, under the transformation of space and time coordinates.

4. How does the relativity of simultaneity affect our understanding of cause and effect?

The relativity of simultaneity suggests that the notion of cause and effect may also be relative, as the order of events can be perceived differently by different observers. This challenges the idea of a single, universal cause and effect relationship and suggests that it may vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

5. How has the theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has fundamentally changed our understanding of the universe by challenging our traditional concepts of time, space, and motion. It has paved the way for modern physics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as the equivalence of mass and energy, the bending of space-time, and the existence of black holes.