Drawing Circuits: Arduino UNO I/O & Power Setup

In summary: The -ve pin on the DC jack is connected to Gnd.In summary, the Arduino Uno has 13 I/O pins and 8 digital pins and 6 PWMs. It can be powered via a 9V battery or the board's DC jack socket.
Chaso

Homework Statement

Arudino (UNO) is a Microprocessor. As 13 I/O pins and 8 digital pins and 6 PWMs.

Untitled_zps71ae1232.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PS4_zpsb530cf83.jpg

the problem is I don't know how I can power it. I don't think the digital I/O plug can be used as a power source. So I don't know where the I/O pin 12 would go as well as where it would connect, with the resistor , along the circuit. Or How I can power the Arudino. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your attempt to answer the question.

PS4_zpsb530cf83.jpg

the problem is I don't know how I can power it. I don't think the digital I/O plug can be used as a power source. So I don't know where the I/O pin 12 would go as well as where it would connect, with the resistor , along the circuit. Or How I can power the Arudino. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
You appear to have deleted (part of) the original question :-( Please can you post the entire question word for word and links to any other info provided with it. The image at photobucket appear to have gone.

Arudino (UNO) is a Microprocessor

The Arduino Uno is a microcontroller board based on the AVR microprocessor. There are official and third party boards available which may have different pin numbers or additional functions.

Are you using one like this??

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno

Do your pin numbers refer to pins on the board or on the microprocessor on it?

the problem is I don't know how I can power it.

What is "it"? The Arduino Uno or the motor?

Untitled_zpsfa01715e.png

Yes I'm using that one. The pins refer to the pins on the board. And I need to power everything with the battery. But I already know how to power the motor I don't kow how i can power the arduino.

Last edited:
Ok...

Check the spec here..
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno
There is a section on the power requirements. The board has a regulator on it that allows you to feed it anything between 7-12V and it will make 5V for the microprocessor. So I would connect the 9V battery to the DC socket. The way you have shown the motor/FET is correct. The motor/FET should have it's own wires to the battery, particularly if it's a powerful motor.

They thoughtfully provide access to the 5V and 0V rails on pins on the board edge which you can use for the control switch (eg Pin 12) as follows... PS I've used a rectangle for the resistor. You should use the symbols in the question.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
PS: As an alternative to the DC jack socket you could instead use Vin and Gnd pins for the battery. These are electrically the same. In other words the +ve pin on the DC jack is connected to the Vin pin on the board edge. Both go to the regulator.

1. What is an Arduino UNO and how does it work?

An Arduino UNO is a microcontroller board that is used for building electronic projects. It contains an ATmega328P microcontroller, which is the brain of the board. The board also has digital and analog input/output (I/O) pins that can be used to connect various components, such as sensors and actuators, to create interactive projects.

2. How do I set up the I/O pins on an Arduino UNO?

To set up the I/O pins on an Arduino UNO, you will need to connect your components to the appropriate pins using jumper wires. The digital pins can be configured as either inputs or outputs, while the analog pins can only be used as inputs. You will also need to write code in the Arduino Integrated Development Environment (IDE) to control the inputs and outputs.

3. What is the purpose of the power supply on an Arduino UNO?

The power supply on an Arduino UNO is used to provide power to the board and its components. The board can be powered using a USB cable or an external power supply. The power supply also regulates the voltage and current to ensure that the components are not damaged.

4. How do I connect external power to an Arduino UNO?

To connect external power to an Arduino UNO, you will need to use a 9V battery or a DC power supply. You can connect the positive terminal of the battery or power supply to the VIN pin on the board and the negative terminal to the GND pin. Make sure to also connect the ground of the external power source to the ground of the board.

5. Can I use an Arduino UNO to control high voltage or high current devices?

No, an Arduino UNO is not designed to handle high voltage or high current devices. The I/O pins on the board can only handle a maximum of 5V and 40mA. If you need to control high voltage or high current devices, you will need to use additional components, such as transistors or relays, to interface with the Arduino UNO.