Will the Right Mass Rise? A Dynamics Pulley Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system with masses of 4kg, 4kg, and 2kg hanging on either side. It is determined that after the 2kg mass is removed, there will be no acceleration and the right mass will continue to fall while the left mass rises. The concept is compared to how a scale works with springs.
devanlevin
on either side of a pulley hung from a ceiling, i hang weights, on the left side, i hang a mass of 4kg,?
on the right side i hang a mass of 4kg and another mass of 2kg,

now there is acceleration towards the right side, correct?

next phase, after a certain amount of time, i disconnect the 2kg mass, leaving 4 on each side,

my question is this, what will happen to the body on the right side,?
since the two sides have equal mass and only mg and t working on them each in opposite directions, i think that they would stay where they are, 0 acceleration,. but common sense would tell me that the right mass would rise and the left mass would drop till they reach the same level.
what is correct?

my attempt at an graphic for the problem
apologies :)
|(-----)|
|...|
|...|
|...|
[]4kg...|
...|
...[]4kg
...|
...[]2kg

Physics news on Phys.org
what i did was applied Newtons 2nd law and got that there is no acceleration but it just doesn't seem logical,

pulleys and cords have no mass or friction

You're right about the zero acceleration after the 2kg mass is removed. But the question is, when you disconnect the 2kg mass do you stop the pulley from moving first, or not? If not then it will keep moving at whatever speed it was moving when the mass is disconnected. That's what it means to have 0 acceleration: no change in velocity.

thanks that helps a lot,never thought of that, so if the 2nd mass falls off the right body will continue falling and the left body rising, despite the fact that their masses are the same.

dont know if there is any connection, but if so, how does a scale work,, that's the 1st thing i thought of when i saw this question,.

devanlevin said:
thanks that helps a lot,never thought of that, so if the 2nd mass falls off the right body will continue falling and the left body rising, despite the fact that their masses are the same.

That's right.

dont know if there is any connection, but if so, how does a scale work,, that's the 1st thing i thought of when i saw this question,.

There is more than one type of scale, but a simple one works with springs. You step on the scale and your weight compresses the springs until they match your weight and hold you still.

That's very different from pulleys.

scales

devanlevin said:

Hi devanlevin! :smile:

If you mean an old-fashioned scale, with the pivot well above the pans, then the analogous case would be putting 6kg in one pan, 4kg in the other, and then removing 2kg from the 6kg just as the scale was horizontal … then the scale would keep rotating, until it was high enough to run out of energy, and would then oscillate left and right to that height! :smile:

1. What is a dynamics pulley problem?

A dynamics pulley problem is a physics problem that involves one or more pulleys and the movement of objects attached to them. These problems typically require the use of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy to find the acceleration, tension, and displacement of the objects involved.

2. How do I approach a dynamics pulley problem?

The first step in approaching a dynamics pulley problem is to identify all the forces acting on the objects involved. This includes tension, gravity, and any friction or normal forces. Then, apply Newton's second law and conservation of energy equations to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are some common assumptions made in dynamics pulley problems?

Some common assumptions made in dynamics pulley problems include assuming the pulleys and ropes are massless, neglecting air resistance, and assuming there is no slipping or stretching of the ropes. These assumptions help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use the same approach for different types of dynamics pulley problems?

Yes, the same approach of identifying forces and applying Newton's laws and conservation of energy can be used for different types of dynamics pulley problems. However, the specific equations and variables used may differ depending on the specific problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of dynamics pulley problems?

Dynamics pulley problems have many real-world applications, including in engineering, construction, and mechanics. For example, they can be used to calculate the forces and tension in a crane lifting an object or to determine the acceleration and speed of an elevator. They are also used in designing mechanical systems such as conveyor belts and gear systems.