1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E&M - Electric Field Intensity in Microwave

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1

This problem has me stumped and I keep thinking that I'm missing something simple. The question gives us a simple model for modelling a microwave. We consider a plane wave travelling through an object in the microwave (in the z direction), with no reflection.

So, the general form should be; [tex]E(z) = E_0e^{-yz}[/tex]

We are given that the waves radiate 500W of power at f = 2 GHz in a cylindrical volume with radius r=4. The object has an outer layer 5mm thick. We are also given [tex]\epsilon_r[/tex] and [tex]\mu_r[/tex]. And we have to find the peak electric field intensity at the top of the surface.

Any ideas where to start on this one? I assume it's asking for E0, but I don't know what theorems I should apply to get that one. Maxwell's equations only give me the general solution I posted above. I tried doing boundary conditions, but that didn't get me anywhere either. I have a feeling it may have something to do with the power and the frequency, and possibly the Poynting Theorem. And maybe I should integrate [tex]P = 1/2 \int |E|^2 dV[/tex] over the cylindrical volume and set P = 500 W?

Am I on the right track? Thanks for any help you can offer!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?