E&M - Electric Field Intensity in Microwave

In summary, the question is asking for the peak electric field intensity at the top of the surface, given a simple model for modelling a microwave and information about the power and frequency. The Poynting theorem can be used to calculate the power density, and setting it equal to the given power over the cylindrical volume can help find an equation for E0.
AngelofMusic
Hi,

This problem has me stumped and I keep thinking that I'm missing something simple. The question gives us a simple model for modelling a microwave. We consider a plane wave traveling through an object in the microwave (in the z direction), with no reflection.

So, the general form should be; [tex]E(z) = E_0e^{-yz}[/tex]

We are given that the waves radiate 500W of power at f = 2 GHz in a cylindrical volume with radius r=4. The object has an outer layer 5mm thick. We are also given [tex]\epsilon_r[/tex] and [tex]\mu_r[/tex]. And we have to find the peak electric field intensity at the top of the surface.

Any ideas where to start on this one? I assume it's asking for E0, but I don't know what theorems I should apply to get that one. Maxwell's equations only give me the general solution I posted above. I tried doing boundary conditions, but that didn't get me anywhere either. I have a feeling it may have something to do with the power and the frequency, and possibly the Poynting Theorem. And maybe I should integrate [tex]P = 1/2 \int |E|^2 dV[/tex] over the cylindrical volume and set P = 500 W?

Am I on the right track? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it sounds like you are on the right track. You can use the Poynting theorem to calculate the power density, and then set it equal to 500 W over the cylindrical volume. This should give you an equation for E0. From there, you can use the general solution you posted above, E(z) = E_0e^{-yz}, to find the peak electric field intensity at the top of the surface.

1. What is the electric field intensity in a microwave?

The electric field intensity in a microwave refers to the strength of the electric field that is generated by the microwave's electromagnetic waves. It is measured in volts per meter (V/m) and determines the amount of energy that is transferred to the food being heated.

2. How does the electric field intensity affect food in a microwave?

The higher the electric field intensity in a microwave, the faster the food will heat up. This is because the electric field causes the molecules in the food to vibrate, generating heat. However, too high of an electric field intensity can also cause food to cook unevenly or even burn.

3. What factors affect the electric field intensity in a microwave?

The electric field intensity in a microwave is affected by the voltage and frequency of the electromagnetic waves, as well as the shape and size of the microwave's cavity. It can also be affected by any obstructions, such as metal objects, in the microwave's path.

4. Can the electric field intensity in a microwave be harmful to humans?

The electric field intensity in a microwave is generally not harmful to humans, as it is well below the threshold for causing any damage to cells. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and avoid standing too close to the microwave while it is in use.

5. How is the electric field intensity in a microwave measured?

The electric field intensity in a microwave is typically measured using a specialized instrument called a microwave field strength meter. This meter measures the electric field strength in V/m and can help determine the safe distance to stand from the microwave while it is in use.