1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Circuit Question

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    Is the resistance of this circuit 10 ohms?

[​IMG]

I can't prove anything to myself since the resistors aren't in parallel or series.

I do notice that the potential at the top of the right side resistor is the same as at the bottom... So by Ohm's law the current through it should be zero, and so it's just sitting there not resisting anything. Hence, only the left resistor provides resistance to the circuit and R_total = 10 ohms.

Am I correct? Because this just seems counter intuitive.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

SGT

You are correct. I don´t see why do you say it is counter intuitive.
    The equivalent resistance of a resistor in parallel with a short-circuit is a short circuit.
    The equivalent resistance of a resistor in series with a short-circuit is the resistance of the resistor.

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    I dunno... It just seems to me like perhaps a little bit of the current would get through. :smile:

I guess if I looked at it as the current taking the path of least resistence, then yeah, I guess it's pretty intuitive. (Although, obviously, such an analogy couldn't extend to resistors in parallel)

Anyways... Thanks!

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

SGT

Such analogy extends to resistors in parallel. The short-circuit has zero resistance, so all the current passes through it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?