1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg catcher experiment

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm looking for any ideas that you geniuses may have!
    We have to design a device that will catch a (hardboiled) egg from 7 meters high.
    It can be made from any material/objects but must be under 5 cm tall (the sides can be as wide as wanted) and must be self-supporting.
    The device will be placed on hard wood.

I've been looking up some ideas online, and figured I'd ask on here as well.

Thanks for any ideas!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What have you found so far? What are the relevant equations and concepts involved in this type of project?

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    If it was me I would probably weigh an egg, and figure how fast it is going after falling 7 meters. It should offer some clues as to the momentum the device is required to absorb. Ignoring air resistance will give a higher estimate, if that proves unrealistic you can probably get pretty close by assuming the egg is a sphere. In this I am assuming the egg is supposed to survive the ordeal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted