Einstein's Equivalence Principle: Freely Falling Local Frames

In summary: Sorry I forgot to state that I sm talking about free fall in the context of special relativity only.Thanks for the reply.I suppose I will get to study about curved spacetime more in General Relativity,right? Currently I am reading Introduction to special relativity by Wolfgang Rindler.
Jazzyrohan
Einstein's equivalence principle states that:
The sets of inertial frames in the real world that correspond to (portions of) the ideal set of inertial frames discussed in special relativity consist of freely falling local frames.

In other words,can we say that since all the local frames are in free fall,i.e subject only to gravity so there is no relative acceleration between them and hence they are moving with constant velocities(which can be relative)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jazzyrohan said:
Einstein's equivalence principle states that:
The sets of inertial frames in the real world that correspond to (portions of) the ideal set of inertial frames discussed in special relativity consist of freely falling local frames.

This is not the usual way of stating the EP, but it seems ok.

Jazzyrohan said:
an we say that since all the local frames are in free fall,i.e subject only to gravity so there is no relative acceleration between them

The fact that all of the local inertial frames are in free fall does not mean there is no relative acceleration between them. That would be true in the flat spacetime of Special Relativity, but the actual spacetime we live in is not flat; it is curved, because of the presence of matter and energy. And spacetime curvature means that there can be relative acceleration between objects that are in free fall.

PeterDonis said:
This is not the usual way of stating the EP, but it seems ok.
The fact that all of the local inertial frames are in free fall does not mean there is no relative acceleration between them. That would be true in the flat spacetime of Special Relativity, but the actual spacetime we live in is not flat; it is curved, because of the presence of matter and energy. And spacetime curvature means that there can be relative acceleration between objects that are in free fall.
Sorry I forgot to state that I sm talking about free fall in the context of special relativity only.Thanks for the reply.I suppose I will get to study about curved spacetime more in General Relativity,right? Currently I am reading Introduction to special relativity by Wolfgang Rindler.

Jazzyrohan said:
I forgot to state that I sm talking about free fall in the context of special relativity only.

But if that's the case, the equivalence principle is irrelevant. The only point of even thinking about the equivalence principle is to understand to what extent the flat spacetime physics of special relativity can still be used if spacetime is actually curved, as it is in general relativity. If you're only thinking about flat spacetime, there is no equivalence principle because there's nothing for flat spacetime to be locally equivalent to.

Likes PeroK
The important point is that special relativity is explicitly about everything except gravity. You cannot have gravity within special relativity. That was Einstein's great insight in 1907. After that it took him almost 10 years to find the complete relativistic theory of the gravitational interaction, called "General Relativity Theory".

Likes m4r35n357

1. What is Einstein's Equivalence Principle?

Einstein's Equivalence Principle states that the effects of gravity cannot be distinguished from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in a freely falling elevator would not be able to tell if they are experiencing the force of gravity or if the elevator is simply accelerating.

2. Why is the Equivalence Principle important?

The Equivalence Principle is important because it forms the basis for Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It also helps us understand the relationship between gravity and acceleration, and how they affect the behavior of objects in the universe.

3. What are "Freely Falling Local Frames"?

Freely falling local frames are reference frames that are falling freely under the influence of gravity. In these frames, the Equivalence Principle holds true and the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration.

4. How does the Equivalence Principle relate to the curvature of spacetime?

The Equivalence Principle is closely related to the curvature of spacetime, as described by General Relativity. According to the Equivalence Principle, the effects of gravity are equivalent to the effects of acceleration, and in General Relativity, this acceleration is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy.

5. Is the Equivalence Principle universally applicable?

The Equivalence Principle is generally considered to be a fundamental principle of physics and is believed to hold true in all situations and for all observers. However, there are some theories, such as string theory, that suggest the possibility of violations of the Equivalence Principle under certain extreme conditions.