Electric field above one end of a straight line segment?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a distance z above one end of a straight line segment of length L, which carries a uniform line charge λ. The proposed method involves integrating the x and y components of the field and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total field. The method is confirmed to be correct as it yields the expected results in the limit z>>L.
aftershock

Homework Statement

Find the electric field a distance z above one end of a straight line segment of length L, which carries a uniform line charge λ. Check that your formula is consistent with what you would expect for the case z>>L

Homework Equations

KQ/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first considered the x component of the field and integrated

Kλx*dx/(x2+z2)3/2 from 0 to L

I then considered the y component of the field and integrated

Kλz*dx/(x2+z2)3/2

Finally I used pythagorean theorem on both these terms to find the total field.

The problem became pretty cumbersome (which is why I didn't follow all the calculations through in this post). Is my method correct, or am I way off here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. So, when you combine the x and y components of the field using the Pythagorean theorem, you are effectively calculating the magnitude of the electric field. I don't think you need to do that, although you certainly can do. I would think it sufficient to say the x and y components separately. The point is that the x component should vanish in the [itex]x>>L[/itex] limit and the y component should become [itex]k \lambda L / z^2[/itex].

Related to Electric field above one end of a straight line segment?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range of influence. It is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles and their interactions.

2. How is an electric field created above a straight line segment?

An electric field above a straight line segment is created by placing a charged particle at one end of the segment. The charged particle creates an electric field that extends in all directions, including above the segment. The strength of the electric field decreases as you move away from the charged particle.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field above a straight line segment?

The strength of the electric field above a straight line segment is affected by the magnitude of the charged particle, the distance from the charged particle, and the presence of any other charged particles in the vicinity. The electric field is stronger when the charged particle is larger, closer to the segment, and when there are no other charged particles nearby.

4. How is the direction of the electric field above a straight line segment determined?

The direction of the electric field above a straight line segment is determined by the direction of the force that the field exerts on a positively charged test particle placed in the field. The electric field lines always point away from positively charged particles and toward negatively charged particles.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and the electric potential above a straight line segment?

The electric potential above a straight line segment is directly related to the electric field. The electric potential is a scalar quantity that measures the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in the electric field. The electric field is the gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it points in the direction of decreasing potential. In other words, the electric field is stronger in areas of higher potential and weaker in areas of lower potential.