1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field above one end of a straight line segment?

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the electric field a distance z above one end of a straight line segment of length L, which carries a uniform line charge λ. Check that your formula is consistent with what you would expect for the case z>>L

2. Relevant equations

KQ/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

I first considered the x component of the field and integrated

Kλx*dx/(x2+z2)3/2 from 0 to L

I then considered the y component of the field and integrated

Kλz*dx/(x2+z2)3/2

Finally I used pythagorean theorem on both these terms to find the total field.

The problem became pretty cumbersome (which is why I didn't follow all the calculations through in this post). Is my method correct, or am I way off here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2
    Looks good to me. So, when you combine the x and y components of the field using the Pythagorean theorem, you are effectively calculating the magnitude of the electric field. I don't think you need to do that, although you certainly can do. I would think it sufficient to say the x and y components separately. The point is that the x component should vanish in the [itex]x>>L[/itex] limit and the y component should become [itex]k \lambda L / z^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook