Electric field intensity with a charge decreasing over time

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding an expression for the electric field (E) inside and outside a lossy dielectric sphere with an initial evenly distributed charge. The formula σ∇E=dp/dt, where p is the volume density, is used to derive the expression. The process involves applying spherical coordinates to the divergence of E and integrating over r, but there is a need to incorporate the term dp/dt in the final expression.
ForTheGreater
So a lossy dielectric sphere gets an initial charge distribution evenly across the sphere.

Find an expression for E inside and outside the sphere for all t.

I figured that σ∇E=dp/dt
p being volume denity.

So I apply spherical coordinates to the div of E and integrate over r to get an expression for E. But I need to do something with the dp/dt since I want t in the expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello For,

Perhaps you have a better chance to get some assistance if you formulate a bit more completely using the template. Lossy ? ## \sigma ## <--> dp/dt ?

Related to Electric field intensity with a charge decreasing over time

1. What is electric field intensity with a charge decreasing over time?

Electric field intensity with a charge decreasing over time refers to the strength of the electric field produced by a charged object that is losing its charge over a period of time.

2. How does the electric field intensity change as the charge decreases?

The electric field intensity decreases as the charge decreases. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge, so as the charge decreases, the electric field also decreases.

3. What is the relationship between electric field intensity and distance from the charged object?

The electric field intensity is inversely proportional to the distance from the charged object. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field intensity decreases.

4. Can the electric field intensity ever become negative?

No, the electric field intensity is always positive. It represents the strength and direction of the electric field, and a negative value would indicate a reversal in direction.

5. How is electric field intensity with a decreasing charge different from a constant charge?

With a constant charge, the electric field intensity remains the same at any given distance from the charged object. However, with a decreasing charge, the electric field intensity decreases as the charge decreases over time.