Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Strength Comservation in Direction of Motion

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    (Sorry for the typo in the title. I don't know how to get rid of it)

Recently I was looking at the Lorentz co-variance of F=dA (the Faraday 2-form) and *F=*dA (the Maxwell 2-form). I realized that Lorentz co-variance implies that the electric field strength and magnetic field strength are invariant in the direction of motion. In Einstein's notation in Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper (Engl trans.:ON THE ELECTRODYNAMICS OF MOVING BODIES), X=X' and L=L'. It struck me as interesting that he had to assume the invariance in order to prove the co-variance of Maxwell's equations:

Maxwell's eqns:
    img78.gif

transformed:

img79.gif

and now in the new variables:
    img86.gif

Notice how he assumes X=X' and L=L'. This was no small assumption since it was at the time something Poincare was wanting to prove. The proof is, it seems, because it is necessary to establish co-variance, an established fact by then - otherwise you could measure the absolute velocity of the Earth through the luminiferous aether.

Further along he states explicitly:

img93.gif

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's simply the transformation law for a 2nd-rank tensor,
    [tex]F'^{\mu \nu}={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\rho} {\Lambda^{\nu}}_{\sigma} F^{\rho \sigma}.[/tex]
    Plugging in the components in 1+3-dimensional notation, i.e., for [itex]\mu \in \{1,2,3 \}[/itex]
    [tex]F^{0 \mu}=\partial^{0} A^{\mu}-\partial^{\mu} A^0=\partial_0 A^{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} A^0=\dot{A}^{\mu}+\partial_{\mu} \Phi=-E^{\mu},[/tex]
    and for [itex]\mu,\nu \in \{1,2,3 \}[/itex]
    [tex]F^{\mu \nu}=\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}=-\partial_{\mu} A^{\nu} + \partial_{\nu} A^{\mu}=\epsilon^{\nu \mu \rho} B^{\rho},[/tex]
    you find the transformation law in terms of [itex](\vec{E},\vec{B})[/itex] for a boost,
    [tex]
    \begin{split}
    \vec{E}'&=\gamma(\vec{E}+\vec{\beta} \times \vec{B})-\frac{\gamma^2}{1+\gamma} \vec{\beta}(\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{E}),\\
    \vec{B}'&=\gamma(\vec{B}-\vec{\beta} \times \vec{E})-\frac{\gamma^2}{1+\gamma} \vec{\beta}(\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{B}),
    \end{split}
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\vec{\beta}=\vec{v}/c[/itex] and [itex]\gamma=1/\sqrt{1-\vec{\beta}^2}[/itex]. As you see, the components in boost direction are indeed unchanged.

Projecting to the parts in direction of [itex]\vec{\beta}[/itex] and perpendicular to it gives
    [tex]
    \begin{split}
    \vec{E}_{\parallel}'&=\vec{E}_{\parallel},\\
    \vec{B}_{\parallel}'&=\vec{B}_{\parallel},\\
    \vec{E}_{\perp}'&=\gamma(\vec{E}_{\perp}+\vec{\beta} \times \vec{B}),\\
    \vec{B}_{\perp}'&=\gamma(\vec{B}_{\perp}-\vec{\beta} \times \vec{E}).
    \end{split}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook