Electric field strength problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a point between three charges and calculating the force on a point charge at that same point. The solution provided calculates the electric field and states that the force can be found using the formula E=F/q. It is also mentioned that if one of the charges is negative, the field strength may need to be subtracted.
chemkid
Here is my solution. I completed this problem to the best of my ability and I am asking for someone to check and correct my solution if possible. I am not sure if my answers are correct, although and my thinking might also be flawed :confused:

q1= 6.0e-6C
q2= 1.5e-6C
q3=-2.0e-6C

The charges are arranged as such:

O......O...O
q1----0.03m---q2---.02m--q3

The problem is to find the electric field at a point 0.01 meter to the left of q2.
Here is my solution: ( I am ommiting units in calculation for clarity, units are given in answers)
E1y = 0
E1x = Ke q1/r^2 = 8.99e9 * 6.0e-6/.02^2 = 1.35e8 N/C
E2y=0
E2x= Ke q2/r^2 = 8.99e9 * 1.5e-6/.01^2 = 1.35e8 N/C
E3y = 0
E3x = Ke q3/r^2 = 8.99e9 * 2e-6/.03^2 = 2.00e7 N/C
Summing the x components I see that E2x and E1x cancel each other out with respect to the arbitrary point 0.01m to the left of q2. So, I am left with a total electric field of E3 at a point 0.01 cm to the left of q2= 2.00e7 N/C.
Is this correct?
There is a second part of this problem that asks about the force on a point charge placed at the point given its charge of -2.00e-6C. Oddly enough I find finding forces a bit more straightforward. Conceptually I would set it up as a standard charge triangle problem. Seeing as there are no Y components I can just take the sum of the X components in the same way as I did the electric force? Not looking for calculations on the second part of this problem just a conceptual hint on how to go about it, but I would appreciate if someone checks my physics and calculations for the first part of the problem where I have given my answers.

Thanks in Advance,
chemkid

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations for this are correct. As for finding the force on a point charge, go back to the definition of an electric field.
E=F/q
And rearrange for F. (Once you have the field, you only need to plug in a value for q to find the force).

hmm..
what if 1 of the charges is negative?
would the answer still be the sum of field strengths or would it require the subtraction of the negative charge's field strength?

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle in an electric field.

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is used in various technologies, such as capacitors, electric motors, and generators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in fields, which is crucial in fields like particle physics and telecommunications.