Electric Flux Density for Coaxial Cable

In summary, the problem is that the equation for electric field in cylindrical co-ordinates is not the same as the equation in spherical co-ordinates. The attempted solution suggested using Gauss's law to find the field between points a and c, but this does not seem to be the case. The student is now left without a solution and is requesting help from others.
tquiva

Homework Statement

I am given the following problem:
[URL]http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35938&d=1320027350[/URL]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My known equations and attempt to the problem:

[URL]http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35940&stc=1&d=1320028178[/URL]

Basically, my answer to the problem is not the same as the book's answer, and I'm pretty sure I'm using the right equations. What could I possibly be doing wrong here? I've been trying to figure this out for three hours now, and am now frustrated. I apologize for my ignorance here, but any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The images need a login to access.

Sorry about that. This should work now,

Homework Statement

I am given the following problem:

attachment.php?attachmentid=40544&stc=1&d=1320085745.jpg

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

My known equations and attempt to the problem:

attachment.php?attachmentid=40545&stc=1&d=1320085753.png

Basically, my answer to the problem is not the same as the book's answer, and I'm pretty sure I'm using the right equations. What could I possibly be doing wrong here? I've been trying to figure this out for three hours now, and am now frustrated. I apologize for my ignorance here, but any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,414
  • Screen Shot 2011-10-30 at 4.28.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-30 at 4.28.31 PM.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,631
Since D is radial, have you tried:

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}r{\bf D} = \rho_{free}[/tex]

... for the appropriate boundary conditions?

(aside: Don't you hate it when people duplicate constant and variable symbols - try [itex]\rho[/itex]=r, r1=b and r2=c, ... this allows you to keep [itex]\rho[/itex] values for densities: it'll make discussions easier.)

You will certainly not get an inverse-square relationship as that only happens for spherical symmetry.
Your problem has cylindrical symmetry.

Last edited:
I don’t see this equation in my book, but I tried it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40709&stc=1&d=1320551489.png

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is my equation for E correct?

Could someone please provide me with an example to get me going. My assignment is due very soon and any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-05 at 5.50.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-05 at 5.50.51 PM.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,034
Google for "electric field cylindrical capacitor" - there's lots.

Using D:
You have to solve the differential equation in general, this will give you some "arbitrary constants" that you find values for from the boundary conditions for each region.

On the inner core surface, you have a charge distribution ... you have a balancing charge distribution on the outer surface, the electric field outside the cable is zero. The D field has to be continuous across all the regeons and you need to know the relationship between D and E.

The equation I gave you was just [itex]\nabla {\bf D} = \rho_{free}[/itex] for cylindrical co-ordinates.

(Note: from gausses law, the field between a and c without the dielectric would be the same as that due to a line of charge right down the middle.)

1. What is electric flux density for coaxial cable?

Electric flux density for coaxial cable refers to the amount of electric flux passing through a unit area of the cable's cross-sectional area. It is a measure of the electric field strength within the cable.

2. How is electric flux density calculated for coaxial cable?

Electric flux density for coaxial cable can be calculated by dividing the electric flux passing through the cable by the cross-sectional area of the cable. It is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

3. What factors affect the electric flux density in coaxial cable?

The electric flux density in coaxial cable is affected by the applied voltage, the distance between the inner and outer conductors, and the dielectric material between the conductors. It can also be affected by the presence of other nearby conductors or materials.

4. Why is electric flux density important in coaxial cable?

Electric flux density is important in coaxial cable because it determines the strength of the electric field within the cable. This can affect the performance and efficiency of the cable, as well as potential interference with nearby cables or electronic devices.

5. How can electric flux density be controlled in coaxial cable?

Electric flux density in coaxial cable can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and distance between the inner and outer conductors, as well as selecting the appropriate dielectric material. Shielding the cable can also help to reduce interference and control the electric flux density.