Electric model Car design calculations help.

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing an electric car and includes a question about calculating the maximum speed and force of the car. The given information includes the maximum speed (2 meters per second) and the mass of the car (1.45 kg). The question is how to calculate the force (F) and torque at the wheel (given the radius of 28 mm). The expert summarizer notes that without knowing the air resistance and friction, it is not possible to calculate the force without actually building the car.
arjg89
Hello,

I am needing help with some calculations for my project. I have to design an electric Car design and have to include some calculations. Given the maximum speed of the car is 2Meters per Second and the the mass of the car is 1.45kg:

Calculate F

And how do i calculate the torque at the wheel if I know the radius of the wheel which is 28mm.

Thanks.

arjg89.

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello arjg89! welcome to pf! :smile:
arjg89 said:
Given the maximum speed of the car is 2Meters per Second and the the mass of the car is 1.45kg:

Calculate F

the maximum speed is reached when the maximum force (F) of the engine equals the air resistance plus the friction within the engine and the bearings (which increase with speed)

if you don't know the air resistance or the friction (and i don't see how you can know it), then you can't find F without actually building the car :wink:

I don't actually need to know the air resistance or the friction for my assignment.. This is all the information I have been given..

What is the purpose of electric model car design calculations?

The purpose of electric model car design calculations is to determine the performance, efficiency, and overall design of an electric model car. These calculations help engineers and designers make informed decisions about the materials, components, and overall design of the car.

What factors are taken into account when making electric model car design calculations?

Electric model car design calculations take into account factors such as motor power, battery capacity, weight distribution, aerodynamics, and energy consumption. These factors all play a crucial role in the overall performance of the car.

How do electric model car design calculations differ from traditional car design calculations?

Electric model car design calculations differ from traditional car design calculations in that they focus specifically on the unique aspects of electric cars, such as battery capacity and motor power. Traditional car design calculations typically focus on factors such as fuel efficiency and engine performance.

What are the most important design calculations for electric model cars?

The most important design calculations for electric model cars include battery capacity calculations, motor power calculations, and range calculations. These calculations help determine the overall performance and range of the car.

Why are accurate design calculations crucial for electric model car design?

Accurate design calculations are crucial for electric model car design because they ensure that the car will perform as expected and meet the desired specifications. These calculations also help identify potential issues or areas for improvement in the design, leading to a more efficient and effective final product.