Electric potential of a plastic rod

In summary, the problem involves a plastic rod bent into a circle with a radius of 8.20cm and charges of +4.20pC and -6Q1 distributed along different parts of the circumference. The electric potential is being sought at the center of the circle and at a point on the central axis at a distance of 6.71cm from the center. To solve this problem, the equation V = kq/r is used, with r and k being constants. The integral of this equation can be evaluated easily, by finding the linear charge density λ and evaluating ∫(kλ)/r ds, or by recognizing that ∫dq = Q, which is given. Ultimately, the answer is found to be
noppawit
A plastic rod has been bent into a circle of radius R=8.20cm. It has a charge Q1 = +4.20pC uniformly distributed along one-quarter of its circumference and a charge Q2 = -6Q1 uniformly distributed along the rest of circumference. With V=0 at infinity, what is the electric potential a) at the center of the circle and b) at point P, which is on the central axis of the central axis of the circle at distance D = 6.71cm from the center?

In the problem, I tried to evaluate V = kq/r to solve this problem. I think that r and k, which is 8.99*10^9, is constant in this problem. I would like to know to integrate this equation and to make it relate with 2Pi*r

P.S.
Answer from textbook: a) = -2.3V and b) = -1.78V. I want to find out the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to evaluate ∫k/r dq. Note that r and k are both constants, so the integral should be easy.

Now the problem is what is ramda, so I can change dq to ramda*ds. After that, I will be able to evaluate from 0 to 0.13 for 1/4 of circumference for q1 and evaluate from 0.13 to 0.515 for the rest of circumference for q2.

You can certainly solve the problem by finding the linear charge density λ, and then evaluating ∫(kλ)/r ds . λ is just the total charge divided by the length.

But that's the hard way. Since k, λ, and r are constant, you'd just end up evaluating ∫ds which should be trivial. The easy way is to recognize that ∫dq = Q, which is given.

But go ahead and do it either way.

1. What is the electric potential of a plastic rod?

The electric potential of a plastic rod refers to the amount of electric potential energy that a charged plastic rod possesses per unit charge, measured in volts (V).

2. How is the electric potential of a plastic rod calculated?

The electric potential of a plastic rod can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy of the rod by the amount of charge it possesses. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the distance from the rod.

3. What factors affect the electric potential of a plastic rod?

The electric potential of a plastic rod is affected by the amount of charge it possesses, the distance from the rod, and the electric field strength of the surrounding environment.

4. Can the electric potential of a plastic rod change?

Yes, the electric potential of a plastic rod can change if the factors affecting it, such as the amount of charge or the electric field strength, are altered. For example, if the rod is brought closer to another charged object, the electric potential will change.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total amount of energy a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is a measure of the work required to move a charged object from one location to another, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space.