1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMF in magentic field

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    See question below:

[​IMG]

In order to calculate the EMF, the markscheme using the formula "E=Blv", the markscheme uses the linear speed of point M. Can someone please explain why this is the case - I understand the derivation of E=Blv, just not why the linear speed at M is used.

I used a different method (I calculated the area/second and multiplied it by B), however I would be interested to know how the method above manifests itself.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    Work out what v is by using by using speed equals circumference of circle divided by t.It gives the same answer as your method but your method is better.

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    So why is the midpoint, M used?

Thanks

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    Think of one of the radial lines of length l which is rotating.The velocity of this(and all the other lines)varies from zero at the centre to a maximum at the end.When we use Blv we should take the average velocity which is at the midpoint M.I still prefer your method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?