Why is the linear speed at point M used in calculating EMF in a magnetic field?

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf Field
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula "E=Blv" in calculating EMF. The markscheme uses the linear speed at point M, which is the average velocity of the radial lines, while another method uses the formula speed = circumference of circle / time. Both methods give the same answer, but the latter is considered better. The use of the midpoint, M, is to account for the varying velocities of the radial lines.
nokia8650
See question below:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/479/30680788kr3.th.jpg

In order to calculate the EMF, the markscheme using the formula "E=Blv", the markscheme uses the linear speed of point M. Can someone please explain why this is the case - I understand the derivation of E=Blv, just not why the linear speed at M is used.

I used a different method (I calculated the area/second and multiplied it by B), however I would be interested to know how the method above manifests itself.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work out what v is by using by using speed equals circumference of circle divided by t.It gives the same answer as your method but your method is better.

So why is the midpoint, M used?

Thanks

Think of one of the radial lines of length l which is rotating.The velocity of this(and all the other lines)varies from zero at the centre to a maximum at the end.When we use Blv we should take the average velocity which is at the midpoint M.I still prefer your method.

What is EMF in magnetic field?

EMF (electromagnetic field) in a magnetic field is a form of energy that is created when an electric current flows through a conductor, such as a wire. It is characterized by the presence of both an electric and a magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other and oscillate at right angles to the direction of the current.

How does EMF in magnetic field affect human health?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of EMF in magnetic fields, but currently there is no conclusive evidence that it has a significant impact on human health. However, long-term exposure to high levels of EMF may cause symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.

What are common sources of EMF in magnetic fields?

Common sources of EMF in magnetic fields include power lines, electrical appliances, and electronic devices. The strength of the EMF depends on the distance from the source, as well as the strength and frequency of the current.

How can you reduce exposure to EMF in magnetic fields?

To reduce exposure to EMF in magnetic fields, it is recommended to keep a safe distance from sources, such as power lines and electrical appliances. Additionally, limiting the use of electronic devices and using shielding materials, such as metal screens, can also help reduce exposure.

What are some potential risks associated with EMF in magnetic fields?

Some potential risks associated with EMF in magnetic fields include interference with pacemakers and other electronic medical devices, as well as potential impacts on plant and animal life. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential risks and effects of EMF exposure.