Calculating Induced Voltage in a Rotating Rectangular Loop with Magnetic Field

• Thread starter lazyaditya
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, yopur equation is tantamount to farady's law. i just meant that using flux = B x A is easier ...
lazyaditya
Q. A 30 cm by 40 cm rectangular loop rotates at 130 rad/sec in a magnetic field 0.06Wb/metre sqre normal to the axis of rotation. If the loop has 50 turns, determine the induced voltage in the loop ?

Attempt !

V(induced) in 1 turn = ∫(u X B).dS

my vector u will be ρω in a∅ direction but i am unable to understand the direction of magnetic field what does it mean by direction perpendicular to axis of rotation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
lazyaditya said:
Q. A 30 cm by 40 cm rectangular loop rotates at 130 rad/sec in a magnetic field 0.06Wb/metre sqre normal to the axis of rotation. If the loop has 50 turns, determine the induced voltage in the loop ?

Attempt !

my vector u will be ρω in a∅ direction but i am unable to understand the direction of magnetic field what does it mean by direction perpendicular to axis of rotation ?

It means that the magnetic field goes straight through the loop. Say that the loop's axis of rotation is the x direction, then the magnetic field could be in the y or z direction.

lazyaditya said:

Attempt !

I think it would be easier to use Farady's law of induction which equates emf to rate of change of magnetic flux.

berkeman said:
It means that the magnetic field goes straight through the loop. Say that the loop's axis of rotation is the x direction, then the magnetic field could be in the y or z direction.

but then if i am considering the direction of rotation to be A∅ wouldn't both the directions Aρ
and Az will be perpendicular to it !

rude man said:
I think it would be easier to use Farady's law of induction which equates emf to rate of change of magnetic flux.
how should i use faraday law in this the conductor position is changing ! wouldn't the faraday law equation result in the equation i have used in the end !

lazyaditya said:
how should i use faraday law in this the conductor position is changing ! wouldn't the faraday law equation result in the equation i have used in the end !

Yes, the conductor position is changing. That's what makes the magnetic flux change, since flux = B dot area where B and area are vectors ...

Yes, yopur equation is tantamount to farady's law. i just meant that using flux = B x A is easier ...

Related to Calculating Induced Voltage in a Rotating Rectangular Loop with Magnetic Field

1. How is induced voltage calculated in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field?

The induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field can be calculated using the formula E = B*l*v*sin(theta), where E is the induced voltage, B is the magnetic field strength, l is the length of the loop, v is the velocity of rotation, and theta is the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the loop.

2. What factors affect the induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field?

The induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of rotation, the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the loop, and the length of the loop. Additionally, the number of turns in the loop and the resistance of the circuit can also affect the induced voltage.

3. Can the induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field can be negative. This occurs when the magnetic field and the rotation of the loop are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the induced voltage.

4. How can the direction of the induced voltage be determined in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field?

The direction of the induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field, your index finger in the direction of rotation, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the induced voltage.

5. What is the relationship between the induced voltage and the rate of change of magnetic flux?

The induced voltage in a rotating rectangular loop with magnetic field is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This means that as the rate of change of magnetic flux increases, the induced voltage also increases, and vice versa.