Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: EMT problem

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Q. A 30 cm by 40 cm rectangular loop rotates at 130 rad/sec in a magnetic field 0.06Wb/metre sqre normal to the axis of rotation. If the loop has 50 turns, determine the induced voltage in the loop ?

Attempt !

V(induced) in 1 turn = ∫(u X B).dS

my vector u will be ρω in a∅ direction but i am unable to understand the direction of magnetic field what does it mean by direction perpendicular to axis of rotation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It means that the magnetic field goes straight through the loop. Say that the loop's axis of rotation is the x direction, then the magnetic field could be in the y or z direction.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it would be easier to use Farady's law of induction which equates emf to rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4
    but then if i am considering the direction of rotation to be A∅ wouldn't both the directions Aρ
    and Az will be perpendicular to it !

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5
    how should i use faraday law in this the conductor position is changing ! wouldn't the faraday law equation result in the equation i have used in the end !

7. Oct 12, 2012 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the conductor position is changing. That's what makes the magnetic flux change, since flux = B dot area where B and area are vectors ...

Yes, yopur equation is tantamount to farady's law. i just meant that using flux = B x A is easier ...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook