1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMT problem

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Q. A 30 cm by 40 cm rectangular loop rotates at 130 rad/sec in a magnetic field 0.06Wb/metre sqre normal to the axis of rotation. If the loop has 50 turns, determine the induced voltage in the loop ?

Attempt !

V(induced) in 1 turn = ∫(u X B).dS

my vector u will be ρω in a∅ direction but i am unable to understand the direction of magnetic field what does it mean by direction perpendicular to axis of rotation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It means that the magnetic field goes straight through the loop. Say that the loop's axis of rotation is the x direction, then the magnetic field could be in the y or z direction.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it would be easier to use Farady's law of induction which equates emf to rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4
    but then if i am considering the direction of rotation to be A∅ wouldn't both the directions Aρ
    and Az will be perpendicular to it !

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5
    how should i use faraday law in this the conductor position is changing ! wouldn't the faraday law equation result in the equation i have used in the end !

7. Oct 12, 2012 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the conductor position is changing. That's what makes the magnetic flux change, since flux = B dot area where B and area are vectors ...

Yes, yopur equation is tantamount to farady's law. i just meant that using flux = B x A is easier ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook