Relativistic Expression for Energy of Quantum State of Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary, the conversation is about a question for high school seniors regarding special relativity and non-relativistic quantum mechanics. The problem involves finding the relativistic expression for the energy of a particle in harmonic oscillation with a large angular frequency. The solution includes using the relativistic kinetic energy equation and expressing the angular frequency in terms of linear velocity.
ephedyn
Homework Statement

This is supposed to be a question for high school seniors who've had instruction in introductory concepts of special relativity and non-relativistic QM. According to my TA, he isn't too certain if it can be done within these confines but nonetheless I've attempted the problem... Please let me know if I'm doing it wrong (quite sure I am); or if I'm on the right track, how to reduce r in terms of n. Thanks in advance!

A particle of mass m vibrates as a harmonic oscillator with angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]. For this harmonic oscillator, the general expression for the energy [tex]E_n[/tex] of the state of quantum number n is

[tex]E_n = (n - \frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega[/tex]

Suppose that the angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] is so large that the kinetic energy of the particle is comparable to [tex]mc^2[/tex]. Obtain the relativistic expression for the energy [tex]E_n[/tex] of the state of quantum number n.

Relevant equations and the attempt at a solution

Considering the relativistic kinetic energy [tex]E_k[/tex] of the particle,
[tex]E_k = (mc^2)(\gamma - 1)[/tex]

If [tex]E_k \approx mc^2[/tex]

then [tex]\gamma - 1 \approx 1[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \gamma \approx 2[/tex]

Expressing angular frequency in terms of linear velocity in [tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac{c}{\sqrt{2}r}[/tex]
where r is the radius of the oscillation

[tex]\therefore E_n = \frac{(n - \frac{1}{2}) \hbar c }{\sqrt{2}r}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Posting again to put this thread above again, since it remains unsolved.

Thanks for looking. :frown:

Well, I don't know the solution, but I'll just remark that "comparable to" isn't synonymous with "approximately equal to". So the KE could easily be 1/2 of, or twice, the rest energy for example.

Related to Relativistic Expression for Energy of Quantum State of Harmonic Oscillator?

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that follows a repetitive pattern of motion back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It can be a physical object, such as a pendulum or a mass on a spring, or a mathematical model used to describe various phenomena.

2. What is the energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in the system due to its position or configuration.

3. How is the energy of a harmonic oscillator related to its amplitude and frequency?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its amplitude and frequency. This means that as the amplitude or frequency increases, the energy of the oscillator also increases. Conversely, as the amplitude or frequency decreases, the energy decreases.

4. Can the energy of a harmonic oscillator be negative?

No, the energy of a harmonic oscillator cannot be negative. This is because both kinetic and potential energy are always positive quantities. However, the total energy of a harmonic oscillator can be zero if the system is at its equilibrium point.

5. Can the energy of a harmonic oscillator change over time?

Yes, the energy of a harmonic oscillator can change over time. As the oscillator moves back and forth, its kinetic and potential energies will continuously vary. However, the total energy of the oscillator will remain constant, as long as there is no external force acting on the system.