Engineering Career Survey Questions: Insights from Professionals

In summary, the individual is considering a career in engineering and wants to know the good, bad, and prospects of such a career. They also ask for opinions on different branches of engineering and ask specific questions to forum members. One member, a Biomedical Engineer, shares their experience in the field and answers the questions posed. They recommend engineering as a career for those with interest and ability and mention the stability and benefits of the medical device field. The individual thanks everyone for their opinions and the thread is closed.
PatriciaC
Good evening, forum members... I'm currently enrolled in an Engineering class in my school and I'm considering engineering as one of my career pathways, but I would like to know the good, the bad, and the prospects of an engineering career before making a decision. I'm also interested to know what opportunities do different branches of engineering provide...

As a part of the survey, I'd like to ask yourselves a few questions:
  1. What kind of engineering do you do?
  2. Would you choose this career if you had the opportunity to restart your life?
  3. What is the best thing about your career?
  4. What is the worst thing about your career?
  5. What would your alternative career be if you're not an engineer
  6. Is engineering a career you would recommend for the younger generations?
  7. What (exciting) opportunities comes with your engineering job? (e.g. travel, benefits, occupational security, etc.)
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinions :)

Physics news on Phys.org
PatriciaC said:
Good evening, forum members... I'm currently enrolled in an Engineering class in my school and I'm considering engineering as one of my career pathways, but I would like to know the good, the bad, and the prospects of an engineering career before making a decision. I'm also interested to know what opportunities do different branches of engineering provide...

As a part of the survey, I'd like to ask yourselves a few questions:
  1. What kind of engineering do you do?
  2. Would you choose this career if you had the opportunity to restart your life?
  3. What is the best thing about your career?
  4. What is the worst thing about your career?
  5. What would your alternative career be if you're not an engineer
  6. Is engineering a career you would recommend for the younger generations?
  7. What (exciting) opportunities comes with your engineering job? (e.g. travel, benefits, occupational security, etc.)
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinions :)
  1. I am a BioMedical Engineer. I work in the field of medical devices and combination devices. At this point in my career, I am a quality engineer doing regulatory and compliance support.
  2. Yes, I think I would choose this career again. I never intended to go this way, but it has worked out well for me. Probably other things would have worked out as well, but this an interesting field with lots of challenges.
  3. The products I design help restore people to a more normal life.
  4. The design lifecycle is very long, it can take as long as 8-10 years for a new product to move from concept to implantation.
  5. This is a very difficult question to answer with any certainty, but I will attempt to answer what I think is the intent of your question. I worked as a locksmith when I was in college. This is an interesting trade, one that provides an opportunity for independence, and can be well-compensated. If I needed something to fall back on, I might consider this.
  6. I do recommend engineering as a career to those who have the interest and ability to pursue it.
  7. I do travel occasionally for work. I have excellent benefits. The medical device field is pretty stable, it is less cyclical than defense or aerospace for example.

Welcome to the PF, Patricia.

For privacy and anti-phishing reasons, we no longer allow interviews at the PF. Thread is closed.

1. What is an engineering career survey?

An engineering career survey is a tool used to gather information about different engineering careers, such as job responsibilities, salary, job satisfaction, and education requirements. It is typically used by individuals considering a career in engineering to gain insight into the field and make informed decisions about their career path.

2. How is an engineering career survey conducted?

An engineering career survey can be conducted through various methods, such as online surveys, phone interviews, or in-person interviews. The survey typically consists of a series of questions related to different aspects of the engineering career, and the responses are then compiled and analyzed to provide a clear picture of the field.

3. Who can benefit from an engineering career survey?

Anyone interested in pursuing a career in engineering can benefit from an engineering career survey. This includes students exploring their career options, professionals looking to switch careers, or individuals seeking to gain more knowledge about the engineering field.

4. What type of information can be gathered from an engineering career survey?

An engineering career survey can gather a wide range of information, including job satisfaction levels, salary ranges, job responsibilities, educational requirements, and growth opportunities within the field. It can also provide insights into the different specialties within engineering, such as mechanical, civil, or electrical engineering.

5. How can the results of an engineering career survey be used?

The results of an engineering career survey can be used in various ways. Individuals can use the information to make informed decisions about their career path, while employers can use it to understand the needs and preferences of their employees. It can also be used by educational institutions to tailor their programs to meet the demands of the engineering job market.