1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Dynamics

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The 160-Mg train travels with a speed of 80 kmlh when it starts to climb the slope. If the engine exerts a traction force F of 1120 of the weight of the train and the rolling resistance F D is equal to 1/500 of the weight of the train, determine the deceleration of the train. slope is y=1 and x=10 Capture.PNG

****See attached files for picture.
    2. Relevant equations
    I summed the forces in the x and y directions because it is going up a slope.

3. The attempt at a solution
    the solution I keep getting is in the right direction, but is 1.0m/s^2 off. i.e. -1.5m/s^2 roughly.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2
    The engine exerts a traction force of F(1/20) of the weight of the train. Not 1120

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Show your work. Simply telling us the wrong answer you got isn't very helpful in seeing where you might have gone wrong.

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4
    ∑F(x)=Fcos(5.7)-F(Resistance)cos(5.7)-F(Normal)cos(84.3)-mg*cos(84.3)=ma
    ∑F(y)=Fsin(5.7)-F(Resistance)sin(5.7)+F(Normal)sin(84.3)-mg*sin(84.3)=ma

I uploaded a free-body diagram.

Attached Files:

6. Sep 8, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Can you explain your reasoning behind the equations?

7. Sep 8, 2015 #6
    Well I wanted to prove that the axis didn't need to be rotated. It certainly makes things easier if you do, but I wanted to break everything down into components to get a better understanding of how all of the forces are represented in the problem by using vectors. I want a fool proof way to begin dynamics. I did the above equation way wrong. I didn't give acceleration components for x or y most importantly.

I'm just trying to find a common approach to problems. Pulleys are different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted