Engineering Stress increases after yield stress?

In summary, the engineering stress increases after reaching the yield stress point due to the formation of dislocations and subsequent strain hardening, leading to an increase in the material's resistance to deformation and an increase in the applied stress. This continues until reaching the ultimate tensile stress, where the material ultimately fails.
Seth Vogt
I need to know why the Engineering stress increases after reaching the yield stress point, and continues to increase until reaching the UTS. Am I correct when I remember that there is strain hardening that occurs along the region from Yield stress to the Ultimate tensile stress? Engineering stress equals Force divided by Original cross-sectional area: σ=F/Ao
My first thoughts were that obviously as you increase the force, the stress will increase (from a purely mathematical outlook, this is apparent since stress increases proportionally to force). How could this be explained in better engineering terms?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seth Vogt said:
I need to know why the Engineering stress increases after reaching the yield stress point, and continues to increase until reaching the UTS. Am I correct when I remember that there is strain hardening that occurs along the region from Yield stress to the Ultimate tensile stress? Engineering stress equals Force divided by Original cross-sectional area: σ=F/Ao
My first thoughts were that obviously as you increase the force, the stress will increase (from a purely mathematical outlook, this is apparent since stress increases proportionally to force). How could this be explained in better engineering terms?
Thanks
Does it need a better explanation than the increase in applied force leads to an increase in stress, regardless of how that stress is calculated?

The question is: "From the onset of plastic deformation up to the UTS, the engineering stress increases. Discuss in Engineering terms why."
This is for a lab report in which we performed a tensile test on three materials, steel, copper, and aluminum

Yes, thank you both for your insight. I asked the instructor also, and the answer he was looking for was regarding the cold work/strain hardening that occurs as a result of dislocations from the plastic deformation.

1. What is engineering stress?

Engineering stress is a measure of the amount of force applied to a material per unit area, also known as the stress, that is calculated using the initial cross-sectional area of the material. It is different from true stress, which takes into account the change in cross-sectional area as a material is deformed.

2. What is the yield stress of a material?

Yield stress is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before it starts to permanently deform. This is an important property for engineers to consider when designing structures and selecting materials for different applications.

3. Why does engineering stress increase after yield stress?

After a material reaches its yield stress, it will start to deform permanently. This permanent deformation causes a decrease in the material's cross-sectional area, which in turn causes an increase in engineering stress since it is calculated using the original cross-sectional area. Therefore, as the material continues to deform, the engineering stress will continue to increase.

4. How does the increase in engineering stress after yield stress affect the material?

The increase in engineering stress after yield stress can lead to a material's failure if it is not able to withstand the increased stress. This is why it is important for engineers to consider a material's yield stress when designing structures and selecting appropriate materials for different applications.

5. Can engineering stress continue to increase indefinitely?

No, engineering stress cannot continue to increase indefinitely. As a material is subjected to increasing stress, it will eventually reach its ultimate tensile strength, which is the maximum stress the material can withstand before it ruptures. At this point, the material will fail and the engineering stress will drop to zero.