Is Dropping a Metal Block into a Lake a Reversible Process in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and how to calculate the change in entropy for a metal block being dropped into a lake. The equation for calculating entropy change is given, and it is explained that a reversible process must be devised to calculate this change. The conversation also addresses the question of why the block's mass can be ignored in this calculation and requests general tips for tackling entropy questions.
Sum Guy
Hello all.

I have a quick question about entropy... I've just been formally introduced to it.

Consider the example of a metal block of mass m and heat capacity Cp at temperature T1 = 60C being dropped into a large lake of temperature T2 = 10C.

$$\Delta S_{block} = \int\frac{dQ_{reversible}}{T} = \int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{C_pdT}{T}$$

I have a few questions... how would the block reaching thermal equilibrium with the lake be classed as a reversible process (it must be otherwise we wouldn't have the above calculation)? Why can we ignore the blocks mass? Are there any general tips you could provide that might help me tackle questions on entropy?

Many thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Sum Guy said:
Hello all.

I have a quick question about entropy... I've just been formally introduced to it.

Consider the example of a metal block of mass m and heat capacity Cp at temperature T1 = 60C being dropped into a large lake of temperature T2 = 10C.

$$\Delta S_{block} = \int\frac{dQ_{reversible}}{T} = \int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{C_pdT}{T}$$

I have a few questions... how would the block reaching thermal equilibrium with the lake be classed as a reversible process (it must be otherwise we wouldn't have the above calculation)? Why can we ignore the blocks mass? Are there any general tips you could provide that might help me tackle questions on entropy?

Many thanks.
You are correct in recognizing that the process you described is not a reversible process. But, to calculate the change in entropy of the block for this change, you need to devise a reversible path from the initial state to the final state, and calculate the integral of dQ/T for that path. One such path is where you contact the block with a sequence of reservoirs having gradually lower temperatures (so that its temperature only differs only slightly from that of the reservoir it is currently in contact with). That leads to the integral you wrote down. Of course, that integral only gives the entropy change per unit mass. To get the actual entropy change of the block, you need to multiply by the mass of the block.

Last edited:
Likes Sum Guy

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

What is a reversible process?

A reversible process is a thermodynamic process that can be reversed by making small changes to the conditions of the system. This means that the system can return to its original state without leaving any permanent effects on its surroundings.

How is entropy related to a reversible process?

In a reversible process, the change in entropy is equal to zero. This is because the system can return to its original state, so there is no overall increase in disorder or randomness. However, in an irreversible process, the change in entropy is always greater than zero.

What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related. In a reversible process, the change in entropy is equal to the change in energy divided by the temperature. As the temperature increases, the amount of energy needed to produce a change in entropy decreases.

Why is the concept of entropy important in science?

Entropy plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical and chemical systems. It helps us predict the direction of spontaneous processes and understand the efficiency of energy conversions. It is also a fundamental concept in the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time.