1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equipotential lines and electric field lines

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1

ktb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given the equation for the potential of an arbitrary dipole. I need to draw the electric field lines for this dipole in a plane, and also show that these lines are perpendicular to the equipotential lines. I have already derived the equation for the electric field using the gradient of the potential and mapped out the equipotential lines.

2. Relevant equations
    V d i p ( ⃗r ) = Constant ⃗r ·p⃗ /(r^3)
    E⃗ d i p = − ∇⃗ V d i p
    = (Constant) 3( ⃗r · p⃗) ⃗r /(r^5) - p⃗/(r^3)
    Take p⃗ to equal a unit vector for an orthonormal basis. Such as the unit vector for x in the x, y, z coordinate system.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the gradient of V is always perpendicular to V, so intuitively this makes complete sense. However, I do not know how to show that a scaler quantity (V) is perpendicular to the vector equation I derived for E. I am also unsure how to map such a strange function for E into ℝ2 although obviously I know what it looks like.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2012 #2

ktb

Figured it out, bad misunderstanding by me about El. field lines. Sorry for the unnecessary post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook