Equivalent Resistance of an RLC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to solve a second order transient circuit for their homework. They are having trouble finding the equivalent resistance and ask for help. After discussing their attempt at a solution, they realize they need to open the switch and remove the sources to find the correct values for the components. They ask for confirmation that they are on the right track.
wiz0r

Homework Statement

It is in the attachment.

NOTE: I supposed I did a little mistake when I drew the circuit with PSpice. The closed switch should look like .---->. instead of having that 45 angle. I don't know if it matters or not, so yea..

Homework Equations

Rp = (R1 * R2)/ (R1 + R2)
Rs = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn
α(series) = Req / (2*L)
Wo = 1/sqrt(LC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, well, I'm trying to solve this second order transient circuit, but I have a problem! I can't find the correct equivalent resistance. What I do first is to remove the voltage source by a short and the current source by an open circuit. Now, I got to find the equivalent resistance to calculate α. What I do is;

R12 = (2 * 6) / (2 + 6) = 1.5 ohms

then;

Req = R12 + R3 + R4 = 1.5 + 4 + 2 = 7.5 ohms

According to the book, the Req should be 2 ohms! So either, I'm doing something really wrong, or there's a mistake with the book. Can someone please help me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• circ.JPG
    circ.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 702
Physics news on Phys.org
mm, well, i figured out what was wrong.

since the switch is closed, i need it to open it to find the equivalents R, L, and C to check if its an series RLC or parallel RLC.

i opened the switch, and took out the sources, everything cancels out, and i'll have only the rightmost loop with the 2 ohm resistance, 2H inductance, and 1F capacitance.

anyway, could somone tell me if I am right or not?

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It's great to see that you are trying to solve this circuit on your own and seeking help when you encounter difficulties. I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

First, let's review the concept of equivalent resistance. In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula Rp = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2). In this circuit, we have both series and parallel components, so we need to use both formulas to find the total equivalent resistance.

To start, let's simplify the circuit by removing the voltage source and current source as you have done. This leaves us with a series circuit composed of R1, R2, R3, and R4. The equivalent resistance for this series circuit is simply the sum of all the resistances, which is 6 + 2 + 4 + 2 = 14 ohms.

Now, let's consider the parallel components. R1 and R2 are in parallel, so we can use the formula Rp = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2) to find their equivalent resistance. This gives us Rp = (6 * 2) / (6 + 2) = 1.5 ohms.

Next, we need to add this equivalent resistance to the series circuit we calculated earlier. This gives us Req = 1.5 + 4 + 2 = 7.5 ohms.

So, the equivalent resistance for this circuit is 7.5 ohms, which matches your calculation. I'm not sure where the 2 ohms in the book came from, but it may be a typo or a different approach to solving the problem.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of equivalent resistance and how to calculate it in a circuit with both series and parallel components. Keep up the good work in your studies and don't hesitate to reach out for help when needed. Good luck!

What is the equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit?

The equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit is the total resistance that a single resistor would have to have in order to produce the same amount of current as the entire RLC circuit.

How is the equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit calculated?

The equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit is calculated by adding the individual resistances of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor in the circuit. This is known as the series resistance formula: R = RR + RL + RC.

Why is the equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit important?

The equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the circuit when subjected to different frequencies of alternating current. It also allows us to calculate the total power dissipated by the circuit.

What factors can affect the equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit?

The equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit can be affected by the values of individual resistances, inductances, and capacitances in the circuit. The type of materials used for these components, as well as their placement within the circuit, can also impact the equivalent resistance.

How does the equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit relate to impedance?

The equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit is related to impedance, which is the overall opposition to current flow in the circuit. Impedance includes both resistance and reactance (inductive and capacitive). The equivalent resistance is equal to the real part of impedance, while the imaginary part represents the reactance of the circuit.