What are the complex poles of the function 1/(x^4+1)?

• Thread starter doey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the student is asking for help with finding the poles of the function 1/(x^4+1). They have attempted to find one root, (-1)^1/4, but are unsure how to find the remaining three complex roots. The response is that the function has no poles, and the student will need a different approach for the integral.
doey
1. Homework Statement [/b
from -∞ to ∞ of ∫1/(x^4+1) dx

Homework Equations

how can i actually find out the pole of this function

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to determine the pole and x^4=-1,for this i have obtain the root which is (-1)^1/4,but i dun noe how to find out the remaining roots and it really make me confuse for this ==

Physics news on Phys.org
Since x4+1 = 0 has no real-valued solutions, your function f(x) = 1/(x4+1) has no poles. You'll need a different approach for this integral.

Michael Redei said:
Since x4+1 = 0 has no real-valued solutions, your function f(x) = 1/(x4+1) has no poles. You'll need a different approach for this integral.

There are complex poles. There are four of them. Write the root in polar form [itex]r e^{i \theta}[/itex] and try and figure out what the possibilities are for r and [itex]\theta[/itex].

Related to What are the complex poles of the function 1/(x^4+1)?

What is a real integral?

A real integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a given interval. It is often used in calculus to solve problems related to motion, volume, and accumulation.

What is the process for evaluating a real integral?

To evaluate a real integral, you must first determine the function and the interval of integration. Then, you can use various methods such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, or integration by parts to find the exact value of the integral.

What is the significance of evaluating real integrals?

Evaluating real integrals is important in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics, as well as volume and surface area in engineering.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating real integrals?

Some common mistakes when evaluating real integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, using the wrong limits of integration, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are correctly followed.

What are some tips for solving challenging real integrals?

When faced with a challenging real integral, it is helpful to first try to simplify the integrand by using algebraic manipulations or trigonometric identities. Additionally, it can be helpful to use the properties of integrals, such as linearity and symmetry, to make the evaluation process easier. Lastly, practice and familiarity with different integration techniques can greatly improve the ability to solve difficult integrals.