Expanding (cosx)^-1/2: Simplifying with Binomial Expansion

In summary, In order to find the first few terms of the binomial expansion of (cosx)^-1/2, you need to differentiate (cosx)^-1/2 a few times, then take the binomial expansion of that.
Poop-Loops
I have the series (cosx)^-1/2 (so it's square-rooted and on the bottom)

And I need to get the first few terms. My idea has been to do this: [1 + (cosx - 1)]^-1/2

But I have no idea how to take the binomial expansion of that. Do I:

Take the BE first, substituting "cosx - 1" as just X or something, then after I get the first few terms of that, substitute in the series for "cosx - 1" back into X and adding everything up? The only reason I haven't tried this yet is because it seems like this would take an infinite amount of work...

Physics news on Phys.org
if you only need the first few terms, why no just differentiate (cosx)^-1/2 a few times?

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos x}} = 1+ \frac{1}{2}\left[ \frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos x}}\right]_{x=0}x+...[/tex]

Because your 1st derivative is missing a sinx (Unless I don't get your mathematical notation...), and the next derivatives only get more gruesome. This teacher keeps spouting "we're smart, but lazy", so I'm guessing there is a trick I am missing here.

it's not messy at all after you evaluate the derivative at x=0. All the cos become 1 and all the sines become 0.

quasar, you are doing a MacLaurin series right?

Are you going to say that after a few derivatives, nasty sines come poping in the denominator?

Just to be on the same side, make that a Taylor series centered on [itex]\pi/4[/itex] where both cos and sine are [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
it's not messy at all after you evaluate the derivative at x=0. All the cos become 1 and all the sines become 0.

Errr... when can I evaluate at x=0? Don't I need to keep it a variable until I am completely done deriving?

Yes. It's true you are lazy, lol.

I tried this once already. I got to through 2 derivations before it became really ugly. And my f(0)'s were something like 1, 0, and 1/2. That only makes it 2 terms, really, unless I want to cheat and say it's 0x. But I probably can't. So if all the odd n terms are supposed to be 0, I have a lot of deriving to go. I said I'm lazy, but smart. Smart enough to know that there has to be a different approach. This isn't a calc class where we are learning this the first time and have to go through this just to know how it's done. This is math physics, so it's mainly just a review + more critical thinking.

Alright, so let's get back to your first idea.

[tex](\cos x)^{-1/2} = (1+(\cos x - 1))^{-1/2} \equiv (1-X)^{-1/2}[/tex]

Expand this in a binomial series, then resubstitute X--> cos(x)-1. You will have what you want: a series expansion for (cosx)^-1/2. It is not a power series, but it is a series expansion.

It is frequent that calc classes do not cover the binomial series for non-positive integer exponents, but any physics class will assume that you know it. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series

The series you find will converge for all values of x such that |X(x)|<1. Find what that corresponds to in terms of x.

Last edited:
I have to get a power series expansion (or whatever it's called, where it's 1 + x/2! etc). So would I then expand cosx - 1 and plug those results into each individual binomial expansion? That sounds like just as much work. But I guess I have to try something.

yeah, do that then. Since X = cos(x) - 1, and cos(x)'s power series's first term is 1, the 1's cancel and then the term of lowest degree in [itex]X^n[/itex] is [itex]x^n[/itex]. So if you decide to keep only the terms up to degree 2, you're left with the first two terms (in x) of X and the first term (in x) of X².

Last edited:

Related to Expanding (cosx)^-1/2: Simplifying with Binomial Expansion

What is (cosx)^-1/2?

(cosx)^-1/2 is an expression that represents the inverse square root of the cosine of x. It is often used in trigonometric functions and can also be written as 1/√cos(x).

How do you expand (cosx)^-1/2?

(cosx)^-1/2 can be expanded using the binomial expansion formula: (1 + x)^n = 1 + nx + (n(n-1)/2!)x^2 + ... + (n(n-1)(n-2)...1/3!)x^3 + ...

Why is binomial expansion used to simplify (cosx)^-1/2?

Binomial expansion is used because it allows us to expand a binomial expression with a fractional or negative exponent into a series of terms that can be simplified.

What is the general formula for expanding (cosx)^-1/2 using binomial expansion?

The general formula for expanding (cosx)^-1/2 is: (cosx)^-1/2 = 1 - (1/2)x^2 + (3/8)x^4 - (5/16)x^6 + ... + (-1)^(n+1)(2n-1)/2^n x^(2n) + ...

Are there any restrictions for expanding (cosx)^-1/2 using binomial expansion?

Yes, for the binomial expansion to be valid, the value of x must be within the convergence interval of the expansion, which is typically between -1 and 1. Additionally, the exponent in the expression must be a non-negative integer.