1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding a series

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    I have the series (cosx)^-1/2 (so it's square-rooted and on the bottom)

And I need to get the first few terms. My idea has been to do this: [1 + (cosx - 1)]^-1/2

But I have no idea how to take the binomial expansion of that. Do I:

Take the BE first, substituting "cosx - 1" as just X or something, then after I get the first few terms of that, substitute in the series for "cosx - 1" back into X and adding everything up? The only reason I haven't tried this yet is because it seems like this would take an infinite amount of work... :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

if you only need the first few terms, why no just differentiate (cosx)^-1/2 a few times?

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos x}} = 1+ \frac{1}{2}\left[ \frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos x}}\right]_{x=0}x+...[/tex]

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    Because your 1st derivative is missing a sinx (Unless I don't get your mathematical notation...), and the next derivatives only get more gruesome. This teacher keeps spouting "we're smart, but lazy", so I'm guessing there is a trick I am missing here.

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

it's not messy at all after you evaluate the derivative at x=0. All the cos become 1 and all the sines become 0.

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5
    quasar, you are doing a MacLaurin series right?

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you going to say that after a few derivatives, nasty sines come poping in the denominator?

Just to be on the same side, make that a Taylor series centered on [itex]\pi/4[/itex] where both cos and sine are [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  8. Oct 11, 2006 #7
    Errr... when can I evaluate at x=0? Don't I need to keep it a variable until I am completely done deriving?

9. Oct 11, 2006 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It's true you are lazy, lol.

10. Oct 11, 2006 #9
    I tried this once already. I got to through 2 derivations before it became really ugly. And my f(0)'s were something like 1, 0, and 1/2. That only makes it 2 terms, really, unless I want to cheat and say it's 0x. But I probably can't. So if all the odd n terms are supposed to be 0, I have a lot of deriving to go. I said I'm lazy, but smart. Smart enough to know that there has to be a different approach. This isn't a calc class where we are learning this the first time and have to go through this just to know how it's done. This is math physics, so it's mainly just a review + more critical thinking.

11. Oct 11, 2006 #10

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alright, so let's get back to your first idea.

[tex](\cos x)^{-1/2} = (1+(\cos x - 1))^{-1/2} \equiv (1-X)^{-1/2}[/tex]

Expand this in a binomial series, then resubstitute X--> cos(x)-1. You will have what you want: a series expansion for (cosx)^-1/2. It is not a power series, but it is a series expansion.

It is frequent that calc classes do not cover the binomial series for non-positive integer exponents, but any physics class will assume that you know it. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series

The series you find will converge for all values of x such that |X(x)|<1. Find what that corresponds to in terms of x.

12. Oct 11, 2006 #11
    I have to get a power series expansion (or whatever it's called, where it's 1 + x/2! etc). So would I then expand cosx - 1 and plug those results into each individual binomial expansion? That sounds like just as much work. But I guess I have to try something.

13. Oct 11, 2006 #12

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yeah, do that then. Since X = cos(x) - 1, and cos(x)'s power series's first term is 1, the 1's cancel and then the term of lowest degree in [itex]X^n[/itex] is [itex]x^n[/itex]. So if you decide to keep only the terms up to degree 2, you're left with the first two terms (in x) of X and the first term (in x) of X².

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?