1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Exponential functions with integral

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    problem 1
    diff([f(tanx)], x) = x^2; prove that diff[f(u)]=(tan^-1(u))^2/(1+u^2)
    problem 2
    int(f(u), u = 0 .. 1) = f(t)-1; prove that f(a+b)=f(a)f(b) for every a,b ∈R

3. The attempt at a solution
    problem 1
    i don't know how to answer this question... taking the integral of f'(tan x) =x^3/3+C doesn't seem to help....

problem 2
    the function seems to be the exp function where it's itself its derivative and e^0=1. but is it correct to state that the function is the exponential function directly?

btw,i'm right now learning the technique of integration.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: integral

To find df(tan x)/dx, use the chain rule.
    Taking u= tan(x), df(u)/dx= df/du (du/dx) and here du/dx= d(tan x)dx= sec^2(x) so df(tan(x))dx= df(u)/du(sec^2(x))= x^2. From that df(u)/du= x^2/sec^2(x). Now use the fact that u= tan(x) so x= tan^(-1)(u). What is sec^2(x) in terms of tan(x)?

[itex]\int_0^1 f(u)du= f(t)- 1[/itex] is impossible. The left side is a constant, not a function of t. Did you mean [itex]\int_0^t f(u)du= f(t)- 1[/itex]? If so, differentiating both sides with respect to t gives f(t)= f'(t). What function satifies that?

4. Jan 2, 2010 #3
    Re: integral

thank u... i understand problem 1 now...

for problem 2, i'm sorry. you're right, it's from 0 to t not 1... thank u...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook