Expressing one Vector in terms of others

In summary, the problem at hand is to express Rs in terms of r1 and r2, with the given equations R3-1 = r1-Rs and R3-2 = r2-Rs. The attempt at a solution involved a possible relation between r1 and r2, but it was not a direct approach to the problem. Instead, using the expression r2= -(m1/m2)*r1, both positions can be expressed in terms of Rs and r1.
DistinctlyPlain

Homework Statement

6pvAr0Q.jpg

I am very rusty on my mathematics and I am wondering if there is a way to express Rs in terms of r1 and r2. The positions of the bodies are all relative to the origin 0 (C.o.M between m1 and m2). Basically I'm trying to express the two vectors coming from m3 in terms of the masses and position vectors for m1 and m2.

Homework Equations

R[/B]3-1 = r1-Rs
R3-2 = r2-Rs

The Attempt at a Solution

I think r1 and r2 are related through the expression: r2= -(m1/m2)*r1 but this was very much 'fudged' so I think I'm approaching the problem wrong.

Any help much appreciated.
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, r1, r2 are linearly dependent and span a 1-D space. Rs can never be an linearly combination of them. I think it would be more natural if you define that "r1-Rs" vector to be r1 and "r2-Rs" to be r2.

DistinctlyPlain said:
think r1 and r2 are related through the expression: r2= -(m1/m2)*r1
Yes, use that, so you can express both positions in terms of Rs and r1.

1. What does it mean to express one vector in terms of others?

Expressing one vector in terms of others means to represent a given vector as a combination of other vectors. This is often done to simplify calculations or to find a relationship between different vectors.

2. Why is it useful to express one vector in terms of others?

Expressing one vector in terms of others can help in solving complex vector problems by breaking them down into simpler components. It also allows for easier visualization and understanding of vector relationships.

3. How do you express one vector in terms of others?

To express one vector in terms of others, we use vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. The goal is to find the coefficients of each vector that when combined, result in the given vector.

4. Can you express a vector in terms of an infinite number of other vectors?

Yes, it is possible to express a vector in terms of an infinite number of other vectors. This is because any vector can be represented as a linear combination of other vectors, and there are infinite possible combinations.

5. Are there any limitations to expressing one vector in terms of others?

There may be limitations to expressing one vector in terms of others if the vectors are not linearly independent. In this case, it is not possible to find a unique linear combination to represent the given vector. Additionally, the number of vectors used to express a vector may also be limited by the dimension of the vector space.