How Do Newton's Laws Apply to Sliding Blocks with Different Masses and Friction?

• Thread starter jehan4141
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, two blocks of different masses are sliding to the right on a horizontal surface with no friction acting on the first block and a kinetic frictional force acting on the second block. The forces with which the blocks push against each other and the acceleration of both blocks are determined for both cases. The acceleration for block 1 is in the negative direction, while the acceleration for block 2 is in the positive direction. The force exerted by block 1 is 2.9 N and the acceleration for both blocks is 0.967 m/s^2.
jehan4141
Two blocks are sliding to the right across a horizontal surface, as the drawing shows. In Case A the mass of each block is 3.0 kg. In Case B the mass of block 1 (the block behind) is 6.0 kg, and the mass of block 2 is 3.0 kg. No frictional force acts on block 1 in either Case A or Case B. However, a kinetic frictional force of 5.8 N does act on block 2 in both cases and opposes the motion. For both Case A and Case B determine (a) the magnitude of the forces with which the blocks push against each other and (b) the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks.

I'm in intro physics...I've been looking at this problem for a while. I understand that I am supposed to set up a free body diagram for both boxes. Let's just look at part A first.

This is my reasoning. The two boxes are contiguous and thus accelerate at the same magnitude. On box 1 there is a normal force and mg working on it. Then I THINK there is a force pointing to the left. Let's call this force F.

I THINK force F is caused by the equal and opposite reaction of pressing it pressing on block B. Is my logic correct?

If this is true, then for block 1: -F=ma

Then on Block B, we have friction working on it towards the left and the force F put on it. This is in the +x direction. We also have normal force and weight.

And for block B: F - Ffriction = ma?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good, just be careful with signs. (For example, what's the direction of the acceleration?)

Doc Al said:
Looks good, just be careful with signs. (For example, what's the direction of the acceleration?)

I'm not sure about the accelerations?

So for Box 1 we have normal force and weight that cancel out. And we also have the force of friction and the force F, BOTH in the -x direction...This acceleration should be in the negative direction for box 1?
F1 = m(-a)
a = -F/m = -F/3

And for Box 2 we have normal force and weight that cancel. We also have friction in the left direction and F in the +x direction. So acceleration is positive? This is just a gut feeling that acceleration is in the +x direction. How do I know if the net force on box 2 is in the + or - direction? But if my assumption is correct that a is in the +x direction, we have:

F-Ffriction = ma
F-Ffriction = 3a =3(-F/3)
F-Ffriction = -F
-Ffriction = -2F
-5.8 = -2F
F = 2.9 N?

F = ma
2.9 = 3a
a=0.967 m/s2?

jehan4141 said:
I'm not sure about the accelerations?

So for Box 1 we have normal force and weight that cancel out. And we also have the force of friction and the force F, BOTH in the -x direction...This acceleration should be in the negative direction for box 1?
F1 = m(-a)
a = -F/m = -F/3
Looks OK. There's no friction acting on block 1. The only horizontal force is that from block 2. (Both blocks accelerate together, to the left.)

And for Box 2 we have normal force and weight that cancel. We also have friction in the left direction and F in the +x direction. So acceleration is positive? This is just a gut feeling that acceleration is in the +x direction. How do I know if the net force on box 2 is in the + or - direction?
The only external force on the two block system is the friction acting to the left, so both blocks accelerate to the left. But you need not assume that, the equations will tell you.
But if my assumption is correct that a is in the +x direction, we have:

F-Ffriction = ma
F-Ffriction = 3a =3(-F/3)
F-Ffriction = -F
-Ffriction = -2F
-5.8 = -2F
F = 2.9 N?
Good. This is the force exerted by block 1. It acts to the right. Note that the friction force, which acts to the left, is twice as much.

F = ma
2.9 = 3a
a=0.967 m/s2?
For block 1 you had: a = -F/m, which will give you the correct sign for the acceleration.

For block 2, you need the net force = -5.8 + 2.9 = -2.9. Thus a = F/m, which will give you the correct sign.

Thanks Doc! My quiz is Friday and that helped me so very much!

What is the meaning of F=ma?

F=ma is a mathematical equation that represents Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

What is the significance of Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does F=ma relate to Newton's third law?

F=ma and Newton's third law are closely related because the force (F) in the equation represents the action of one object on another, and the acceleration (a) represents the reaction of the second object to that force.

Can you give an example of Newton's third law in action?

One example of Newton's third law in action is when you push a cart. As you push on the cart, the cart exerts an equal and opposite force back on you, causing you to move in the opposite direction.

How does understanding F=ma and Newton's third law help in everyday life?

Understanding F=ma and Newton's third law can help in everyday life by explaining how objects move and interact with each other. It can also help in understanding the forces at play in everyday activities, such as walking, driving a car, or throwing a ball.