Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fashion for Men

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    Why don't more guys dress more fashionable? I saw a nice looking guy come into work today all dressed up (very prim and proper). It's a very attractive look that any lady would fall for. A nice well suited up man anywhere, you will see ever lady look in awe over them :biggrin:

I sometimes have to help buy my dad's clothes so he doesn't mix-n-match when they don't even remotely go together.:rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    By definition, more guys dress fashionably than any other way.

4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    define "fashionably," please. its a common misconception based on ones opinion. some people might say i dress nice but someone else would say that i dress like a slob.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4
    Men tend not to be as interested in 'fashionable' dress as women. Nice clothes cost more and require more maintenance. I wouldn't mind it if my clothes looked alot nicer but I don't want to spend fifty bucks on a shirt and more on pants. I don't want to have a whole kit ready every time I wash my clothes like my roomie does (detergent, colour guard, stain remover, bleach, colour safe bleach, and faberic softener). And I don't want to have to iron my clothes everyday and worry about pleats, crisp creases, and wrinkling. I just dress nice when I'm going out for a special occasion or something.

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't care less about clothes and appearances. I've never bought an item of clothing in years apart from shoes because they wear out.

7. Oct 9, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I only buy from the exclusive Worzel Gummidge line.

8. Oct 9, 2008 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I feel like I put no effort to look "fashionable" and people said I definitely dress nice.

I just buy nice clothes and not just anything (which is easy), I wear my outfits as they go together (common sense), and I keep up with my hygiene (everybody should do).

Like OMG, that is SOOOO HARD. Fashion is just so COMPLICATED... LIKE OMG!

Come on guys.

9. Oct 9, 2008 #8
    A very exclusive line, on might say :biggrin:

[​IMG]

10. Oct 9, 2008 #9
    I only make sure that I am wearing clean clothes and clean socks. I don't go along with the fashion and rarely buy new clothes.

Right now, I have a dinner invitation (good free food and a free picture of me!) in a really good restaurant but I am not going because I would have to dress up (requirement) and I am lazy.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. Oct 9, 2008 #10
    I used to have alot of shirts from high school in my closet, and favorite pants that became pale from years of washing. But ever since I've upgraded I noticed receiving slightly more attention from people who are into fashion.

12. Oct 9, 2008 #11
    I like dressing trendy and up to date, but I hate formal looks. Too corporate drone looking. Also I find button downs and suits very uncomfortable. Give me a nice cotton/poly polo or tshirt with some lucky or guess jeans and I'm a happy man.

Also nice clothes do cost a freakin lot. I was at Selfridges in London and they had tons of amazing clothes, but that great pair of Hugo Boss jeans are gonna run $300. A cool Desiel t-shirt will be $70. Business style clothes even a higher price level.

13. Oct 9, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Since I never go out to public places, I gave all my dress clothes to charity years ago. Jeans, flannel or fleece shirts for cold weather, T-shirts for warm weather, and comfortable New Balance running shoes or Dunham walking shoes (my wife gets a HUGE discount at the factory store). I had to go to a court hearing a couple of weeks ago, and my wife had to buy me a shirt that would go with a pair of khaki pants I have, just to look presentable.

My wardrobe is minimal, comfortable, and utilitarian. I don't even own a tie.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  14. Oct 9, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I get where you're going with this. You're defining fashion as "the de facto standard of what men wear (even if inadvertant)".

But that claim presupposes a common element among the de facto standard. If what "most men wear" has no common element, there's nothing that can be considered fashionable.

15. Oct 9, 2008 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yikes! Then I for one do not want to stand near you in cold weather! :devil:

...wait for it....

16. Oct 9, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I fixed the typo. :redface: How did that get past the forum's censor when so many innocent words get caught?

17. Oct 9, 2008 #16
    I doubt that most men dress in any particular way. What I said was different. What's another word for fashion?

18. Oct 9, 2008 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Age has a lot to do with it, (as for women's opinions). I don't mind a man wearing a t-shirt and shorts or jeans if he's doing work around the house, but if we leave the house I would at least expect him to wear a nice shirt with his jeans, and preferably dress shorts or slacks. I would not feel comfortable going out with a man wearing a t-shirt. Now in my daughter's age group, I'm sure t-shirts are more common, but still a guy is expected to dress up if they go out to eat or to a club. So I think age group has a lot to do with what is considered acceptable.

19. Oct 9, 2008 #18
    When you say going out, you mean out to dinner? You can't be seen with a man in jeans and t-shirt at the mall? Personally I find button downs uncomfortable, I have yet to find one that fits my body type. Now if I go out to a nice dinner or nice occasion, I definately will wear nice clothes.

20. Oct 9, 2008 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I haven't been shopping at a mall with a man in over close to 20 years.:biggrin: So I guess "does not apply" would be the answer for me. Yes, going out (for me) would be a nice restaurant, club, etc...

Also, I like nice flannel shirts, sweaters and pullover shirts. If we were going to a mall, one of those 3 would be my choice. I would feel strange being seen with a man my age at a nice mall if he had a t-shirt on. My daughter's age, no problem.

21. Oct 9, 2008 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it matter what the person in the clothes is like at all? :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?