The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
mcknia07
Why don't more guys dress more fashionable? I saw a nice looking guy come into work today all dressed up (very prim and proper). It's a very attractive look that any lady would fall for. A nice well suited up man anywhere, you will see ever lady look in awe over them :biggrin:

I sometimes have to help buy my dad's clothes so he doesn't mix-n-match when they don't even remotely go together.:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, more guys dress fashionably than any other way.

define "fashionably," please. its a common misconception based on ones opinion. some people might say i dress nice but someone else would say that i dress like a slob.

Men tend not to be as interested in 'fashionable' dress as women. Nice clothes cost more and require more maintenance. I wouldn't mind it if my clothes looked a lot nicer but I don't want to spend fifty bucks on a shirt and more on pants. I don't want to have a whole kit ready every time I wash my clothes like my roomie does (detergent, colour guard, stain remover, bleach, colour safe bleach, and faberic softener). And I don't want to have to iron my clothes everyday and worry about pleats, crisp creases, and wrinkling. I just dress nice when I'm going out for a special occasion or something.

I couldn't care less about clothes and appearances. I've never bought an item of clothing in years apart from shoes because they wear out.

I only buy from the exclusive Worzel Gummidge line.

I feel like I put no effort to look "fashionable" and people said I definitely dress nice.

I just buy nice clothes and not just anything (which is easy), I wear my outfits as they go together (common sense), and I keep up with my hygiene (everybody should do).

Like OMG, that is SOOOO HARD. Fashion is just so COMPLICATED... LIKE OMG!

Come on guys.

wolram said:
I only buy from the exclusive Worzel Gummidge line.

A very exclusive line, on might say :biggrin:

http://www.geocities.com/davidbrider/Charlotte_Coleman/Worzel_Gummidge_novel_cover.jpg

I only make sure that I am wearing clean clothes and clean socks. I don't go along with the fashion and rarely buy new clothes.

Right now, I have a dinner invitation (good free food and a free picture of me!) in a really good restaurant but I am not going because I would have to dress up (requirement) and I am lazy.

Last edited:
I used to have a lot of shirts from high school in my closet, and favorite pants that became pale from years of washing. But ever since I've upgraded I noticed receiving slightly more attention from people who are into fashion.

I like dressing trendy and up to date, but I hate formal looks. Too corporate drone looking. Also I find button downs and suits very uncomfortable. Give me a nice cotton/poly polo or tshirt with some lucky or guess jeans and I'm a happy man.

Also nice clothes do cost a freakin lot. I was at Selfridges in London and they had tons of amazing clothes, but that great pair of Hugo Boss jeans are going to run $300. A cool Desiel t-shirt will be $70. Business style clothes even a higher price level.

Since I never go out to public places, I gave all my dress clothes to charity years ago. Jeans, flannel or fleece shirts for cold weather, T-shirts for warm weather, and comfortable New Balance running shoes or Dunham walking shoes (my wife gets a HUGE discount at the factory store). I had to go to a court hearing a couple of weeks ago, and my wife had to buy me a shirt that would go with a pair of khaki pants I have, just to look presentable.

My wardrobe is minimal, comfortable, and utilitarian. I don't even own a tie.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
By definition, more guys dress fashionably than any other way.
I get where you're going with this. You're defining fashion as "the de facto standard of what men wear (even if inadvertant)".

But that claim presupposes a common element among the de facto standard. If what "most men wear" has no common element, there's nothing that can be considered fashionable.

turbo-1 said:
Since I never go out to public places, I gave all my dress clothes to charity years ago. Jeans, flannel or fleece garbages for cold weather, T-shirts for warm weather, and comfortable New Balance running shoes or Dunham walking shoes (my wife gets a HUGE discount at the factory store). I had to go to a court hearing a couple of weeks ago, and my wife had to buy me a shirt that would go with a pair of khaki pants I have, just to look presentable.

My wardrobe is minimal, comfortable, and utilitarian. I don't even own a tie.
Yikes! Then I for one do not want to stand near you in cold weather! :devil:

...wait for it...

DaveC426913 said:
Yikes! Then I for one do not want to stand near you in cold weather! :devil:

...wait for it...
I fixed the typo. :redface: How did that get past the forum's censor when so many innocent words get caught?

DaveC426913 said:
I get where you're going with this. You're defining fashion as "the de facto standard of what men wear (even if inadvertant)".

But that claim presupposes a common element among the de facto standard. If what "most men wear" has no common element, there's nothing that can be considered fashionable.
I doubt that most men dress in any particular way. What I said was different. What's another word for fashion?

Age has a lot to do with it, (as for women's opinions). I don't mind a man wearing a t-shirt and shorts or jeans if he's doing work around the house, but if we leave the house I would at least expect him to wear a nice shirt with his jeans, and preferably dress shorts or slacks. I would not feel comfortable going out with a man wearing a t-shirt. Now in my daughter's age group, I'm sure t-shirts are more common, but still a guy is expected to dress up if they go out to eat or to a club. So I think age group has a lot to do with what is considered acceptable.

Evo said:
Age has a lot to do with it, (as for women's opinions). I don't mind a man wearing a t-shirt and shorts or jeans if he's doing work around the house, but if we leave the house I would at least expect him to wear a nice shirt with his jeans, and preferably dress shorts or slacks. I would not feel comfortable going out with a man wearing a t-shirt. Now in my daughter's age group, I'm sure t-shirts are more common, but still a guy is expected to dress up if they go out to eat or to a club. So I think age group has a lot to do with what is considered acceptable.

When you say going out, you mean out to dinner? You can't be seen with a man in jeans and t-shirt at the mall? Personally I find button downs uncomfortable, I have yet to find one that fits my body type. Now if I go out to a nice dinner or nice occasion, I definitely will wear nice clothes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
When you say going out, you mean out to dinner? You can't be seen with a man in jeans and t-shirt at the mall?.
I haven't been shopping at a mall with a man in over close to 20 years.:biggrin: So I guess "does not apply" would be the answer for me. Yes, going out (for me) would be a nice restaurant, club, etc...

Also, I like nice flannel shirts, sweaters and pullover shirts. If we were going to a mall, one of those 3 would be my choice. I would feel strange being seen with a man my age at a nice mall if he had a t-shirt on. My daughter's age, no problem.

Does it matter what the person in the clothes is like at all? :rolleyes:

Kurdt said:
The way you dress reveals something about your personality.

Kurdt said:
Of course that's most important. Hey if I was going out with a 20 something, he could wear a t-shirt. :tongue2: If I'm going out with an old coot, he'd better have something a bit nicer on. :devil:

Trips to the hardware mega store and Walmart, t-shirts are appropriate.

I have a suit! ..Somewhere...I think:uhh:

Evo said:
Of course that's most important. Hey if I was going out with a 20 something, he could wear a t-shirt. :tongue2: If I'm going out with an old coot, he'd better have something a bit nicer on. :devil:

So now i will just have to do some digging.

Evo said:
I would feel strange being seen with a man my age at a nice mall if he had a t-shirt on.
No T-shirt at the mall? You have comparatively conservative sensibilities from where I'm standing.

P.S. You feel differently about hardware stores and Walmarts. Do you see grades of malls?

DaveC426913 said:
No T-shirt at the mall? You have comparatively conservative sensibilities from where I'm standing.
I can honestly say that I have never been to a mall with a man in a t-shirt and I had nothing to do with it, that was their taste. My ex husband didn't even own a t-shirt, except for working out at the excersize club, not something he'd wear in public. Golf shirts yes.

Evo said:
I can honestly say that I have never been to a mall with a man in a t-shirt and I had nothing to do with it, that was their taste. .
Perhaps things've changed in what? ... a couple of decades... :devil:
Evo said:
My ex husband didn't even own a t-shirt, except for working out at the excersize club, not something he'd wear in public. Golf shirts yes.
Me, I'm fond of golf shirts & polo shirts too*. I have more of them than wife has dresses. But being a lazy launderer, I have a stack of T-shirts at the ready if I run out.

* I think the collars, buttons & arm detail broadens my shoulders and ... thinens my old coot's belly.

When I was growing up the only t-shirts I knew of were white and you wore them as underwear.

Evo said:
When I was growing up the only t-shirts I knew of were white and you wore them as underwear.
Holy cow! You missed the whole tie-dye fad? I do remember parts of the 60's...:rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:
Holy cow! You missed the whole tie-dye fad? I do remember parts of the 60's...:rolleyes:
<shudder> Yes, I managed to avoid that.

T-shirts are ok to wear so long as they are nice t-shirts. Usually the nice ones are expensive though ~$50-60. And I'm not paying that much for a nice T-shirt.

Colored t-shirts that you find at places like banana republic, et al. are fine. They are a solid color, usually black, charcoal, white, brown, tan, dark red. They are dressy and not terribly expensive (around $16.00 each, I think?). Those typically look quite nice. Dark Jeans, belt, solid black t-shirt, and nice shoes. It has that architect look. I personally like it.

You really can wear almost anything, so long as it looks nice and well put together.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=35922&pid=273929&scid=273929022

That's the tshirt I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
When you say going out, you mean out to dinner? You can't be seen with a man in jeans and t-shirt at the mall? Personally I find button downs uncomfortable, I have yet to find one that fits my body type. Now if I go out to a nice dinner or nice occasion, I definitely will wear nice clothes.

I'm going to guess they are too big on you? From your pictures, you seem to have a thin frame, like me.

Reminds me of Steve Jobs

steve_jobs_wds_cropped.jpg

Kurdt said:

Yes, it does.

rootX said:
Reminds me of Steve Jobs

steve_jobs_wds_cropped.jpg

God damn that's awful.