Final Swing Angle and Direction After Two Pendulums Collide and Stick Together

In summary: I think the question is intended to be a trick question. If you assume each pendulum has the same length L, then that is the answer. If you try to relate the two angles, you get a messy equation, but if you use the conservation of energy equation, mgh=1/2mv^2, you get a simple one. Try it.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two pendulums colliding and sticking together after being released from rest at given angles. The question asks for the final swing angle and direction of the stuck-together masses. The attempt at a solution involves using conservation of energy and momentum, but the problem is difficult to solve without assuming the angles are small enough to
Gill987

Homework Statement

Two pendulums collide and stick together after being released from rest at angles given. (See diagram) What is the final swing angle of the stuck-together masses ? (I'm assuming my teacher means the angle when they get to the highest point in their swing) In what direction is the swing?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy, Conservation of Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I used cons. of e. to find both velocities just before impact, plugged that into cons. of momentum to get Φ in terms of θ, then used cons. of e. with initial being just as they hit and final being when they swing to a maximum height and got the height to be 5L(1-cosθ), which seems horribly, horribly wrong. Trying to go from there, I got the angle to be arccos(5cosθ-4), which can't be right either. Should I have approached this another way? I've done ballistic pendulum problems, but not when both are moving.

Attachments

• Pendulum.png
    Pendulum.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you can get Φ in terms of θ using conservation of momentum. With conservation of momentum, the final velocity is unknown if you consider your angles to be unknown.

I believe you're supposed to take the angles as known and your final result should have both Φ and θ.

Also, where exactly did you believe the two masses to collide?

Yeah, I wasn't sure about finding one angle in terms of the other. I tired saying P before was 0, P after (right before they collide) was 2mv-mV, ∴ 2v=V, and substituting the v's for what i got using cons. of e, but that would only work assuming the collided in the middle. And I didn't think they'd just be colliding in the middle, but I guess I was getting kinda reckless. I was thinking about solving for time for each of them, but I was thinking that would get messy when trying to do conservation of energy after.

Gill987 said:
Yeah, I wasn't sure about finding one angle in terms of the other. I tired saying P before was 0, P after (right before they collide) was 2mv-mV, ∴ 2v=V, and substituting the v's for what i got using cons. of e, but that would only work assuming the collided in the middle. And I didn't think they'd just be colliding in the middle, but I guess I was getting kinda reckless. I was thinking about solving for time for each of them, but I was thinking that would get messy when trying to do conservation of energy after.

Momentum conservation only applies when [itex]\vec{dP}/dt[/itex] = 0. From that entire time between start and collision, ask yourself if that's true!

Also keep in mind momentum is a vector, and as such, all equations involving momentum conservation should account for vector nature.

You're definitely right to consider momentum and energy conversation but first try turning your attention to how SHM behaves. What does it depend on? In what cases would the two masses collide in the middle? In what cases don't they collide in the middle?

EDIT: Unless someone can suggest an easier method I'm overlooking, it appears you'll be in for some heavy trig/algebra.

Last edited:
I think the question ought to tell you to assume the angles are small enough that you can treat motion before collision as SHM, despite that the diagram shows the angles as quite large. Without that it becomes extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Yeah, I was looking at this problem and was kinda baffled, because what I thought might work didn't and I had no other ideas. I made some force diagrams though, got T-2mg=2m(v^2/L) and a = 2gsinθ for the left side and T-mg=m(V^2/L) and A = gsinΦ for the right side. I tried solving for time from there, but things got large and messy. Maybe I'll just confront him about it, hope he made a mistake, and gives me credit for trying.

My teacher originally drew the diagram with large angles, and labeled the left θo and the right θu. I was thinking maybe he just didn't close the top of his u (although it has a big gap). If the angle was the same for both this would be much simpler as they collide in the middle, right?

Try to solve the problem with equal angles. In this case, the bobs meet in the middle.

Conservation of momentum is not valid here but conservation of angular momentum applies.

ehild

Gill987 said:
My teacher originally drew the diagram with large angles, and labeled the left θo and the right θu. I was thinking maybe he just didn't close the top of his u (although it has a big gap). If the angle was the same for both this would be much simpler as they collide in the middle, right?
If you assume SHM they will collide in the middle even if the angles are different. Do you see why? If your teacher had intended the angles the same I think s/he would not have written any subscripts.

ehild said:
Try to solve the problem with equal angles. In this case, the bobs meet in the middle.

Conservation of momentum is not valid here but conservation of angular momentum applies.

ehild

I attempted this using cons. of e. to find each bob's velocity when it meets in the middle and used that velocity in my equations for conservation of angular momentum. I used cons. of e. again from when they were now combined and moving to their final swing angle, got a height, and tried solving for θ, but I get angles that would not happen (like both bobs start at 0 degrees and end up at 60 degrees).

haruspex said:
If you assume SHM they will collide in the middle even if the angles are different. Do you see why? If your teacher had intended the angles the same I think s/he would not have written any subscripts.

I was thinking that too, but I thought maybe he gave it a subscript so when I need to say what the final swing angle is I could give it a different subscript. And even assuming they collide at the middle with different angles, I get the same problem stated above.

Gill987 said:
I attempted this using cons. of e. to find each bob's velocity when it meets in the middle and used that velocity in my equations for conservation of angular momentum. I used cons. of e. again from when they were now combined and moving to their final swing angle, got a height, and tried solving for θ, but I get angles that would not happen (like both bobs start at 0 degrees and end up at 60 degrees).
If the masses start off at the same angle (same mass, right?) there should be no motion after collision.
Pls post your working.

Gill987 said:

I do not understand you. You need the final angle of the bobs stuck together, in terms of the θ0, the initial one. It is one angle, not "angles".
Show what you did.

ehild

haruspex said:
If the masses start off at the same angle (same mass, right?) there should be no motion after collision.
Pls post your working.

The bobs are not of the same mass. (m and 2m).

ehild

ehild said:
The bobs are not of the same mass. (m and 2m).

ehild

Yes, I couldn't easily check the diagram in the middle of writing the post. But I think it's clear the initial angles are different, but SHM is to be assumed, so we can take it that collision occurs at the vertical position.

ehild said:
I do not understand you. You need the final angle of the bobs stuck together, in terms of the θ0, the initial one. It is one angle, not "angles".
Show what you did.

ehild

Sorry about the confusion. I solved for the final angle symbolically, but the answer didn't look right. When I tried to plug in an angle that the bobs started at, such as 0, I got some final angle that didn't make sense for the starting angle, such as 60.

I used cons. of e. to get the velocity of each bob just before they hit, resulting in the velocity of each to be √(2gL(1-cosθo)). The angular momentum of the left bob before they hit is 2mL2ω and the right is mL2(-ω) (making counterclockwise positive). Total angular momentum before is mL2ω. Angular momentum after they collide is 3mL2ω2. Set equal and ω2=ω/3. I had then changed that to velocity and tried using cons. of e., but I think I see where that went wrong.

Instead of changing to velocity initially, I tried using cons. of e. with initial being when they start moving together and final being at the final swing angle, and I got (1/2)Iω22 = 3mgL(1-cosθ2). With I being 3mL2, and substituting v/3L for ω2 (after using ω2=ω/3 and v=ωL), I got arccos((8/9)+cosθ) = θ2 as my final answer after simplifying. But any initial angle under 84 comes back undefined.

I'm pretty sure that haruspex is correct in saying the problem assumes Simple Harmonic Motion for the pendulums.

Using conservation of energy, find the velocity of each pendulum bob just prior to the colliding. Use conservation of momentum to analyze the collision, giving you the velocity of the combined bobs immediately after the collision. Then use conservation of energy to find the final swing angle.

SammyS said:
I'm pretty sure that haruspex is correct in saying the problem assumes Simple Harmonic Motion for the pendulums.

Using conservation of energy, find the velocity of each pendulum bob just prior to the colliding. Use conservation of momentum to analyze the collision, giving you the velocity of the combined bobs immediately after the collision. Then use conservation of energy to find the final swing angle.

Alright, so the velocity of the left bob just before collision is v1=√(2gL(1-cosθ1)) and the right is v2=√(2gL(1-cosθ2)). Velocity of the combined bobs is v3=(2v2-v1)/3. Using cons. of e. I get (1/2)3mv32=3mgL(1-cosθ3). Simplifying and plugging in for the values of v, I get θ3=arccos((4/9)(1+cosθ1+(1/4)cosθ2+√((1-cosθ1)(1-cosθ2))).

This looks good to me in terms of the work, but are there any problems with it? Or any ways to simplify it more?

Last edited:
Gill987 said:
Instead of changing to velocity initially, I tried using cons. of e. with initial being when they start moving together and final being at the final swing angle, and I got (1/2)Iω22 = 3mgL(1-cosθ2). With I being 3mL2, and substituting v/3L for ω2 (after using ω2=ω/3 and v=ωL), I got arccos((8/9)+cosθ) = θ2 as my final answer after simplifying. But any initial angle under 84 comes back undefined.

You made a little error. cos(θ0) is also divided by 9. arccos((8+cosθ0)/9) = θ2

ehild

Gill987 said:
Alright, so the velocity of the left bob just before collision is v1=√(2gL(1-cosθ1)) and the right is v2=√(2gL(1-cosθ2)). Velocity of the combined bobs is v3=(2v2-v1)/3. Using cons. of e. I get (1/2)3mv32=3mgL(1-cosθ3). Simplifying and plugging in for the values of v, I get θ3=arccos((4/9)(1+cosθ1+(1/4)cosθ2+√((1-cosθ1)(1-cosθ2))).

This looks good to me in terms of the work, but are there any problems with it? Or any ways to simplify it more?

Final eqn looks ok if θ1 corresponds to the mass 2m. In the middle there, it seems to have been the other way around.

ehild said:
You made a little error. cos(θ0) is also divided by 9. arccos((8+cosθ0)/9) = θ2

ehild

Whoops, thanks for catching that.

haruspex said:
Final eqn looks ok if θ1 corresponds to the mass 2m. In the middle there, it seems to have been the other way around.

Whoops again, v3=(2v1-v2)/3.

Thanks to both of you for helping me out on all of this!

Related to Final Swing Angle and Direction After Two Pendulums Collide and Stick Together

1. What is an inelastic pendulum collision?

An inelastic pendulum collision occurs when two objects, one of which is a pendulum, collide and stick together after the impact. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system due to the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms, such as heat or sound.

2. How is the velocity of the pendulum affected by an inelastic collision?

The velocity of the pendulum is reduced after an inelastic collision due to the loss of energy. This decrease in velocity can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, where the final velocity is equal to the initial velocity multiplied by the mass ratio of the pendulum to the colliding object.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic pendulum collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic pendulum collision is affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the colliding objects, the angle at which they collide, and the materials and surface textures of the objects.

4. Can the coefficient of restitution be used to describe an inelastic pendulum collision?

No, the coefficient of restitution is only applicable to elastic collisions where the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. In inelastic pendulum collisions, the coefficient of restitution is not a relevant measure as the objects stick together after the impact.

5. How is the conservation of energy applied to inelastic pendulum collisions?

The conservation of energy is not strictly applicable to inelastic pendulum collisions as energy is lost in the form of heat and sound. However, the total momentum of the system is still conserved, which can be used to calculate the final velocity of the pendulum after the collision.