Find i(t) for t>0 if i(0) = 2A

• Thread starter 3DTiger
  • Start date
In summary, to find i(t) for t>0 if i(0)=2A, the inductor is removed and replaced with a test source. Using a 1A current test source and the voltage across it (Vtest) being 30V, the Thevenin resistance (Rthevenin) is calculated to be 30 ohms. The "5i" component in the circuit is a current controlled current source, but it can be disregarded since its input branch is shorted.
3DTiger

Homework Statement

Find i(t) for t>0 if i(0) = 2A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint from the instructor says to remove the inductor and replace it with a test source. First of all I hope I have the PSPICE schemtic drawn correctly. The dependent current source is .5i. Should I use a 1A current test source. That would make i test equal to the 1 A test source. Would V test be the voltage across the 1 A test source? If so, Vtest would be equal to 30 V. Then R thevenin would be vtest/i test = 30 ohms.

Attachments

• HW12_1.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 303
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the "5i" thing in the middle? It looks kind of like a current controlled voltage source (CCVS), but its input is shorted out?

berkeman said:
What's the "5i" thing in the middle? It looks kind of like a current controlled voltage source (CCVS), but its input is shorted out?

It seems to be a current controlled current source, but as you said the input branch is shorted, so it can be totally dismissed.

Related to Find i(t) for t>0 if i(0) = 2A

1. What is the initial current, i(0), in this scenario?

The initial current, i(0), is 2A as stated in the given equation.

2. What does t>0 mean in this context?

In this context, t>0 means that the time, t, is greater than 0. This indicates that the current is being measured at a point in time after the initial current, i(0), has already been established.

3. How can I calculate the current, i(t), at a specific time, t?

To calculate the current, i(t), at a specific time, t, you can use the given equation and substitute the value of t into the equation. For example, if you want to find the current at t=5 seconds, you would substitute 5 for t in the equation i(t) = 2A and the result would be i(5) = 2A.

4. What are the units for current, i(t), in this equation?

The units for current, i(t), in this equation are amperes (A). This is a unit of measurement for electric current.

5. Can I use this equation to find the current for t<0?

No, this equation is only valid for t>0. This means that it can only be used to find the current at a point in time after the initial current, i(0), has been established. It cannot be used to determine the current at any point in time before t=0.