Find Magnetic Flux: Solve Triangle θ & x0 in xy Plane

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the magnetic flux through a triangle on the xy plane, given a constant electric field that varies in the x and y directions. Using the equation ∫E. ds = derivative of the magnetic flux, the first line integral over the x-axis is zero. For the second line integral, dx is equal to zero and the resulting integral is -x0/3(tan3θ). For the last line integral, the integral of x2y dx is ((tanθ)/3)x03 and the integral of x∫y2dy is (x/3)tan3θ. However, there is uncertainty about the correctness of this solution and how to proceed with finding the magnetic flux.
auk411

Homework Statement

There is a triangle in the upper right hand corner of the xy plane. You are given θ, and x0.

Consider an electric field which does not vary with time or the z direction but which varies in the x and y directions according to E=K(x2y, -xy2) throughout the region of interest (aka the triangle), where K is a constant. Show that the magnitude of the magnetic flux [itex]\phi[/itex]B through the triangle is given by
[itex]\phi[/itex]B = K(3+ tan2θ/{12}) x04tanθt + c, where c is an arbitrary constant and t represents positive time.

So I know that ∫E. ds = derivative of the magnetic flux.

So the first line integral over the x-axis is zero b/c y = 0.

For the second second line intergral: dx = 0. So -∫x0y2dy, as y goes from 0 to x0tanθ. This gives us -x0/3 (tan3θ).

For the last line integral: ∫x2y dx - x∫y2dy. I get ((tanθ)/3)x03 - (x/3)tan3θ. The thought is that for the dx part of this integral we are integrating from 0 to x0. For the dy part, we are going from 0 to tanθ, since the line is y = tanθ.

So this doesn't seem right. And even if it were, what do I do next. If I integrate to find the magnetic flux, what do I integrate with respect to.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations ∫E. ds = derivative of the magnetic fluxThe Attempt at a Solution So I know that ∫E. ds = derivative of the magnetic flux.So the first line integral over the x-axis is zero b/c y = 0.For the second second line intergral: dx = 0. So -∫x0y2dy, as y goes from 0 to x0tanθ. This gives us -x0/3 (tan3θ). For the last line integral: ∫x2y dx - x∫y2dy. I get ((tanθ)/3)x03 - (x/3)tan3θ. The thought is that for the dx part of this integral we are integrating from 0 to x0. For the dy part, we are going from 0 to tanθ, since the line is y = tanθ.So this doesn't seem right. And even if it were, what do I do next. If I integrate to find the magnetic flux, what do I integrate with respect to.

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb). It is used to describe the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space.

How do you calculate magnetic flux?

The formula for calculating magnetic flux is Φ = B x A x cosθ, where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface.

What is the relationship between magnetic flux and magnetic field strength?

Magnetic flux and magnetic field strength are directly proportional. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the magnetic flux also increases. Similarly, as the magnetic field strength decreases, the magnetic flux decreases.

What is the significance of solving for θ and x0 in the xy plane?

Solving for θ and x0 in the xy plane allows you to determine the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. This information is useful in various applications, such as designing electrical circuits and studying the behavior of magnetic materials.

What are some practical applications of finding magnetic flux?

Finding magnetic flux has many practical applications, such as in motors and generators, magnetic levitation systems, and medical imaging devices. It is also used in industries like aerospace and defense for navigation and communication systems.