1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Magnetic Flux

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a triangle in the upper right hand corner of the xy plane. You are given θ, and x0.

Consider an electric field which does not vary with time or the z direction but which varies in the x and y directions according to E=K(x2y, -xy2) throughout the region of interest (aka the triangle), where K is a constant. Show that the magnitude of the magnetic flux [itex]\phi[/itex]B through the triangle is given by
    [itex]\phi[/itex]B = K(3+ tan2θ/{12}) x04tanθt + c, where c is an arbitrary constant and t represents positive time.

So I know that ∫E. ds = derivative of the magnetic flux.

So the first line integral over the x axis is zero b/c y = 0.

For the second second line intergral: dx = 0. So -∫x0y2dy, as y goes from 0 to x0tanθ. This gives us -x0/3 (tan3θ).

For the last line integral: ∫x2y dx - x∫y2dy. I get ((tanθ)/3)x03 - (x/3)tan3θ. The thought is that for the dx part of this integral we are integrating from 0 to x0. For the dy part, we are going from 0 to tanθ, since the line is y = tanθ.

So this doesn't seem right. And even if it were, what do I do next. If I integrate to find the magnetic flux, what do I integrate with respect to.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted