1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the mass of m1 on an inclined pulley system

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## are connected by a massless cord and a pulley, on a rough ramp, tilted at angle ∅ The pulley is massless and frictionless. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and m1 is ##μ_k.## Derive an expression for ##m_1,## given that ##m_2## accelerates downward with acceleration of magnitude ##a.##

Diagram:
    mEv7VFo.png

2. Relevant equations
    ##F=ma##
    ##g=9.8 m/s^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew my free body diagrams for each mass.
    For ##m_1,## the axes are aligned with the ramp, not the ground. ##m_1g## is broken up into its ##x## and ##y## components: ##m_1gsin∅## and ##m_1gcos∅,## respectively. Tension ##T## is larger than frictional force ##F_f## since the object is accelerating up the ramp despite the frictional force in the opposite direction.

For ##m_2,## the axes are aligned with the ground with the up direction being the positive ##y## direction. The weight ##mg## is larger than the tension ##T## due to its downward acceleration.

I think that the tension will be the same everywhere in the rope, so ##T_{m_1}=T_{m_2}.##

With regard to ##m_1:##
    ##T=m_2a##
    ##F_{net}=T-F_f,##
    or
    ##F_{net}=m_2a-μ_km_1gcos∅.##

With regard to ##m_2:##
    ##F_{net}=m_2g-T,##
    or
    ##F_{net}=m_2g-m_2a.##

That's about as far as I got. It's not much of a start. I don't know what steps I need to take towards isolating ##m_1.##

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2
    Where did you get T = m2a from?
    For the net force on m1, you forgot the component of gravity acting down the ramp.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    I derived tension ##T## by applying ##F=ma## and getting ##T=ma## since ##T## is a force. I saw that since the mass of ##m_2## is given and its downward acceleration ##a## is given and on the same axis as ##T## (the ##y## axis), I could plug those into the force equation and get the tension.

And yeah, I can see what you're saying about the gravity. Since ##m_1##'s motion is completely horizontal, it should actually be ##F_{net_{m_1}}=m_2a−μ_km_1gsin∅.## Not sure how I managed to mix up sin and cos, sorry.

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4
    Have another look at your free-body diagrams.
    The one for m2 should have the tension pointing up and the weight down.
    The sum of both of these forces will be m2a.
    So, T = m2a is not correct.

The motion of m1 may be horizontal with respect to the ramp, but it's not horizontal with respect to the ground, so there is a component of the weight acting to pull the mass back down the incline.

6. Feb 21, 2013 #5
    Ok, so ##T+m_2g=m_2a,##
    or
    ##T=m_2a-m_2g.##

So, correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, does that mean that ##mg_x## should actually be subtracted, making ##F_{net_{m_1}}=T-F_f-mg_x##?

7. Feb 21, 2013 #6
    Remember that T and the weight are in opposite directions, so
    m2g - T = m2a
    ( my y-axis points down here )

Your expression for Fnet for m1 is correct.
    When you equate this with m1a, be careful with the signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook