Find the mass of m1 on an inclined pulley system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
IcyDuck
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## are connected by a massless cord and a pulley, on a rough ramp, tilted at angle ∅ The pulley is massless and frictionless. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and m1 is ##μ_k.## Derive an expression for ##m_1,## given that ##m_2## accelerates downward with acceleration of magnitude ##a.##

Diagram:
mEv7VFo.png

Homework Equations


##F=ma##
##g=9.8 m/s^2##

The Attempt at a Solution


I drew my free body diagrams for each mass.
For ##m_1,## the axes are aligned with the ramp, not the ground. ##m_1g## is broken up into its ##x## and ##y## components: ##m_1gsin∅## and ##m_1gcos∅,## respectively. Tension ##T## is larger than frictional force ##F_f## since the object is accelerating up the ramp despite the frictional force in the opposite direction.

For ##m_2,## the axes are aligned with the ground with the up direction being the positive ##y## direction. The weight ##mg## is larger than the tension ##T## due to its downward acceleration.

I think that the tension will be the same everywhere in the rope, so ##T_{m_1}=T_{m_2}.##

With regard to ##m_1:##
##T=m_2a##
##F_{net}=T-F_f,##
or
##F_{net}=m_2a-μ_km_1gcos∅.##

With regard to ##m_2:##
##F_{net}=m_2g-T,##
or
##F_{net}=m_2g-m_2a.##

That's about as far as I got. It's not much of a start. I don't know what steps I need to take towards isolating ##m_1.##
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get T = m2a from?
For the net force on m1, you forgot the component of gravity acting down the ramp.
 
I derived tension ##T## by applying ##F=ma## and getting ##T=ma## since ##T## is a force. I saw that since the mass of ##m_2## is given and its downward acceleration ##a## is given and on the same axis as ##T## (the ##y## axis), I could plug those into the force equation and get the tension.

And yeah, I can see what you're saying about the gravity. Since ##m_1##'s motion is completely horizontal, it should actually be ##F_{net_{m_1}}=m_2a−μ_km_1gsin∅.## Not sure how I managed to mix up sin and cos, sorry.
 
Have another look at your free-body diagrams.
The one for m2 should have the tension pointing up and the weight down.
The sum of both of these forces will be m2a.
So, T = m2a is not correct.

The motion of m1 may be horizontal with respect to the ramp, but it's not horizontal with respect to the ground, so there is a component of the weight acting to pull the mass back down the incline.
 
Ok, so ##T+m_2g=m_2a,##
or
##T=m_2a-m_2g.##

So, correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, does that mean that ##mg_x## should actually be subtracted, making ##F_{net_{m_1}}=T-F_f-mg_x##?
 
Remember that T and the weight are in opposite directions, so
m2g - T = m2a
( my y-axis points down here )

Your expression for Fnet for m1 is correct.
When you equate this with m1a, be careful with the signs.