Find the mass of m1 on an inclined pulley system

In summary, the two masses, m1 and m2, are connected by a massless cord and a pulley on a rough ramp with angle ∅. The pulley is frictionless and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and m1 is μk. To derive an expression for m1, the free body diagrams for each mass were drawn and the net force on m1 was found to be T - Ff - mg_x. The tension, T, was determined to be equal to m2a - m2g. After equating the net force with m1a, it is important to pay attention to the signs.
IcyDuck

Homework Statement

Two masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## are connected by a massless cord and a pulley, on a rough ramp, tilted at angle ∅ The pulley is massless and frictionless. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and m1 is ##μ_k.## Derive an expression for ##m_1,## given that ##m_2## accelerates downward with acceleration of magnitude ##a.##

Diagram:
mEv7VFo.png

Homework Equations

##F=ma##
##g=9.8 m/s^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew my free body diagrams for each mass.
For ##m_1,## the axes are aligned with the ramp, not the ground. ##m_1g## is broken up into its ##x## and ##y## components: ##m_1gsin∅## and ##m_1gcos∅,## respectively. Tension ##T## is larger than frictional force ##F_f## since the object is accelerating up the ramp despite the frictional force in the opposite direction.

For ##m_2,## the axes are aligned with the ground with the up direction being the positive ##y## direction. The weight ##mg## is larger than the tension ##T## due to its downward acceleration.

I think that the tension will be the same everywhere in the rope, so ##T_{m_1}=T_{m_2}.##

With regard to ##m_1:##
##T=m_2a##
##F_{net}=T-F_f,##
or
##F_{net}=m_2a-μ_km_1gcos∅.##

With regard to ##m_2:##
##F_{net}=m_2g-T,##
or
##F_{net}=m_2g-m_2a.##

That's about as far as I got. It's not much of a start. I don't know what steps I need to take towards isolating ##m_1.##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get T = m2a from?
For the net force on m1, you forgot the component of gravity acting down the ramp.

I derived tension ##T## by applying ##F=ma## and getting ##T=ma## since ##T## is a force. I saw that since the mass of ##m_2## is given and its downward acceleration ##a## is given and on the same axis as ##T## (the ##y## axis), I could plug those into the force equation and get the tension.

And yeah, I can see what you're saying about the gravity. Since ##m_1##'s motion is completely horizontal, it should actually be ##F_{net_{m_1}}=m_2a−μ_km_1gsin∅.## Not sure how I managed to mix up sin and cos, sorry.

Have another look at your free-body diagrams.
The one for m2 should have the tension pointing up and the weight down.
The sum of both of these forces will be m2a.
So, T = m2a is not correct.

The motion of m1 may be horizontal with respect to the ramp, but it's not horizontal with respect to the ground, so there is a component of the weight acting to pull the mass back down the incline.

Ok, so ##T+m_2g=m_2a,##
or
##T=m_2a-m_2g.##

So, correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, does that mean that ##mg_x## should actually be subtracted, making ##F_{net_{m_1}}=T-F_f-mg_x##?

Remember that T and the weight are in opposite directions, so
m2g - T = m2a
( my y-axis points down here )

Your expression for Fnet for m1 is correct.
When you equate this with m1a, be careful with the signs.

1. What is the mass of m1 in an inclined pulley system?

The mass of m1 in an inclined pulley system is the amount of matter contained in the object represented by m1. This can be measured in units of kilograms (kg).

2. How do you find the mass of m1 in an inclined pulley system?

The mass of m1 can be found by using the formula m1 = m2(sinθ)/(1+sinθ), where m2 is the mass of the second object and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula takes into account the forces acting on m1 in the pulley system.

3. What is the role of the inclined angle in finding the mass of m1?

The inclined angle, θ, is a crucial component in the formula for finding the mass of m1. This angle affects the forces acting on the pulley system and ultimately determines the value of m1.

4. Can the mass of m1 change in an inclined pulley system?

Yes, the mass of m1 can change in an inclined pulley system if the incline angle or the mass of the second object, m2, changes. This will affect the forces acting on the system and therefore, the value of m1.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the mass of m1 in an inclined pulley system?

Knowing the mass of m1 in an inclined pulley system can be useful in various scenarios, such as determining the weight of an object on an inclined surface or calculating the force required to move an object up an inclined plane. It also has applications in engineering and construction, where pulley systems are commonly used to lift and move heavy objects.