Find the torque about the knee

• Thread starter bmandrade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, this conversation discusses a problem where a 7.5 kg object is attached to an ankle and leg lifts are performed at 0, 30, 60, and 90 degree angles. The equation used to solve for torque is torque = rF sin(angle). The resulting values for torque at each angle are 0 N-m, 15 N-m, 25 N-m, and 30 N-m respectively. The length of the leg is given as 40 cm or 0.4 m. The value for torque at 30 degrees is 25.4 N-m, at 60 degrees is 12.7 N-m, and at 90 degrees is 0 N-m. The conversation also discusses
bmandrade

Homework Statement

I need to solve a problem where a 7.5 Kg object is attached to an ankle and leg lifts are done. There is a picture that shows the leg being at rest where the angle is 0, then legs its lift to 30 degree angle, 60 and 90 degree angle

I am suppose to find the torque about the knee due to this weight for the 4 positions (each angle)

Homework Equations

torque = rF sin (angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used the equaiton above to solve this problem which gave me

at 0 degrees = 0 N.m
at 30 degrees = 15 N.m
at 60 degrees = 25 N.m
at 90 degrees = 30 N.m

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

bmandrade said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve a problem where a 7.5 Kg object is attached to an ankle and leg lifts are done. There is a picture that shows the leg being at rest where the angle is 0, then legs its lift to 30 degree angle, 60 and 90 degree angle

I am suppose to find the torque about the knee due to this weight for the 4 positions (each angle)

Homework Equations

torque = rF sin (angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used the equaiton above to solve this problem which gave me

at 0 degrees = 0 N.m
at 30 degrees = 15 N.m
at 60 degrees = 25 N.m
at 90 degrees = 30 N.m

is this right?

How many Newtons is 7.5 kg ?

Do you have access to any Sine tables to look up the values of Sine for those angles?

How long is it again from the ankle to the knee? I missed seeing that in your statement.

ok 7.5 kg = 73.5 N
also the lenth of the leg is 40 cm so .4 m

bmandrade said:
ok 7.5 kg = 73.5 N
also the lenth of the leg is 40 cm so .4 m

And what is that as torque over that distance - expressed as N-m?

.4 m x 73.5 N = 29.4

bmandrade said:
.4 m x 73.5 N = 29.4

OK, so is that one of your answers and if so for what angle?

it would be for angle 0 right??

bmandrade said:
it would be for angle 0 right??

If the leg is laying flat when just lifted then yes. 0 degrees relative to x-axis. 1 down.

Now what is the distance of the weight from the pivot when the leg is at 30 degrees?

Which trig function gives you that distance the force is acting straight down through to the pivot?

cos
I will have to use the .4 m as the side of the triagle the 30 degree angle makes this way i can find the distance of the 30 degree angle by using cosine

so

.4 (cos 30) = .346 m

using this i have to plug into the torque equation do i have to use sin of 30 or no because since the force is not exactly being applied at an angle right??

bmandrade said:
cos
I will have to use the .4 m as the side of the triagle the 30 degree angle makes this way i can find the distance of the 30 degree angle by using cosine

so

.4 (cos 30) = .346 m

using this i have to plug into the torque equation do i have to use sin of 30 or no because since the force is not exactly being applied at an angle right??

The Cos already accounts for the angle.

Using .346 m is correct.

oh ok in that cas
.346 m (73.5) = 25.4 N-m for angle 30

for angle 60 .173 m (73.5) = 12.7 N-m

for angle 90 will it be 0 since cos of 90 = 0?

bmandrade said:
oh ok in that cas
.346 m (73.5) = 25.4 N-m for angle 30

for angle 60 .173 m (73.5) = 12.7 N-m

for angle 90 will it be 0 since cos of 90 = 0?

Not quite. It's Cosine taken over the original .4m not the .346 at 30 degrees.

so i would have to use cos of 60 times .4

bmandrade said:
so i would have to use cos of 60 times .4

Correct.

oh ok but still for the angle of 90 its 0 or no?

bmandrade said:
oh ok but still for the angle of 90 its 0 or no?

Cos 90 is zero.

Multiplying by zero covers up a lot of sins.

so at 90 there is no torque

bmandrade said:
so at 90 there is no torque

All of the weight is acting directly through the pivot when it's straight up isn't it? Hence no moment arm no torque.

Related to Find the torque about the knee

What is the definition of torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque related to the knee?

In the context of the human body, torque is often used to describe the force and rotation around joints like the knee. The muscles and tendons surrounding the knee joint apply torque to move and stabilize the joint.

What factors affect the torque about the knee?

The amount of torque exerted around the knee joint can be affected by several factors, including the force and direction of the muscle contractions, the angle of the joint, and the distance between the force and the pivot point of the joint.

How can torque about the knee be measured?

Torque can be measured using specialized equipment such as a torque meter or by using mathematical formulas based on the force and distance from the pivot point. In the context of the human body, torque can also be estimated using techniques such as electromyography (EMG).

Why is it important to understand the torque about the knee?

Understanding the torque about the knee is important for diagnosing and treating injuries and conditions that affect the knee joint. It can also help improve performance and prevent injuries in activities that involve repetitive or high-force movements of the knee, such as sports and physical labor.