1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Vector Equilibrium?

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Place 0.150kg (including the mass of the hanger) at a position somewhere between 0 degrees and 90 degrees. (I chose 45 degrees for this problem.) Place the second pulley at exactly 180 degrees and the third pulley at exactly 270 degrees. Determine how much mass you must place on the second and third pulleys for the system to be in equilibrium.
    I am really not sure about how to approach this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2
    Is there a figure that goes along with this problem statement? Put yourself in our place. Do you really think we can figure out what the system looks like from what you've written? We're good, but we're not mind readers.

Chet

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    Hi, here is my attempt to solve the problem. I have drawn the figure in the attachment. The information stated above was the only information given in the problem.

Attached Files:

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4
    Sorry, I still don't follow the description. Maybe someone else can.

Chet

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    I see three lines. Are these lines pendulums? are these masses connected in any way? Sounds like the problem revolves around a contraption, we just don't know what it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted