Finding Equilibrium in a Three-Pulley System

In summary, there is a problem involving a system with three pulleys placed at specific angles and a total mass of 0.150kg, including the hanger. The goal is to determine the amount of mass needed to be placed on the second and third pulleys in order for the system to be in equilibrium. However, without a visual representation or more information about the system, it is difficult to understand the problem and provide a solution.
crewss2015

Homework Statement

Place 0.150kg (including the mass of the hanger) at a position somewhere between 0 degrees and 90 degrees. (I chose 45 degrees for this problem.) Place the second pulley at exactly 180 degrees and the third pulley at exactly 270 degrees. Determine how much mass you must place on the second and third pulleys for the system to be in equilibrium.
I am really not sure about how to approach this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a figure that goes along with this problem statement? Put yourself in our place. Do you really think we can figure out what the system looks like from what you've written? We're good, but we're not mind readers.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is there a figure that goes along with this problem statement? Put yourself in our place. Do you really think we can figure out what the system looks like from what you've written? We're good, but we're not mind readers.

Chet
Hi, here is my attempt to solve the problem. I have drawn the figure in the attachment. The information stated above was the only information given in the problem.

Attachments

• vectorproblem.jpg
    vectorproblem.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 514
crewss2015 said:
Hi, here is my attempt to solve the problem. I have drawn the figure in the attachment. The information stated above was the only information given in the problem.
Sorry, I still don't follow the description. Maybe someone else can.

Chet

I see three lines. Are these lines pendulums? are these masses connected in any way? Sounds like the problem revolves around a contraption, we just don't know what it is.

Likes Chestermiller

What is Vector Equilibrium?

Vector Equilibrium is a concept in mathematics and physics that refers to a state of equilibrium where all forces acting upon a system are balanced. In other words, the net force on the system is equal to zero.

How is Vector Equilibrium used in science?

Vector Equilibrium is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to describe the balance of forces in a system and to predict the behavior of complex systems.

What is the significance of Vector Equilibrium?

Vector Equilibrium is significant because it represents a state of stability and balance in a system. It is also used to understand and analyze the behavior of systems in nature, such as the movements of planets and the structure of molecules.

How is Vector Equilibrium calculated?

The calculation of Vector Equilibrium depends on the specific system and the forces acting upon it. In simple cases, it can be calculated using basic vector addition and subtraction. In more complex cases, mathematical equations and computer simulations may be used.

Can Vector Equilibrium exist in real-world systems?

Yes, Vector Equilibrium can exist in real-world systems. It is commonly observed in physical systems, such as structures under loads, and in biological systems, such as the balance of forces in animal and plant cells. However, it is often an idealized concept and may not be present in all real-world systems.