1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a neutral point, electric fields. Simple algebra.

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    This is a question that I'm doing as part of revision for my January mocks. Being bad a algebra in general, I'm stuck. The answer is a worked example and I still don't understand it, so I'm feeling very silly.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Charges of +4C and +8C are placed 1.00m apart. At what distance from the +4C charge is the electric field strength zero?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon r^2}

[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I picture it like this:

<-----x-----><----------- 1-x ----------->
    +4C -------- E=0 ----------------------- +8C

<----------------- 1m ----------------->

So, E due to 4C = E due to 8C
    [tex]
    \frac{+4}{4\pi\epsilon . x^2} = \frac{+8}{4\pi\epsilon . (x-1)^2}
    [/tex]

Simplifying:
    [tex]
    \frac{4}{x^2} = \frac{8}{(x-1)^2}
    [/tex]

Square rooting & cross multiplying:
    [tex]
    \frac{\sqrt4}{x} = \frac{\sqrt8}{(x-1)}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    2(x-1) = \sqrt8(x)
    [/tex]

It is at this point the textbook worked example says:
    Which simplifies to
    [tex]
    x = \frac{2}{(\sqrt8 + 2)}
    [/tex]
    This is my problem, I don't know how on earth it simplified to that. As the textbook hasn't explained the steps I feel silly as it's something probably really easy.

So I tried this:
    [tex]
    2x- 2 = \sqrt8(x)
    [/tex]
    And I can't get any further...

I'd really appreciate a simple explanation, thankyou. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2
    Your mistake lies in the square root you took!
    Notice that [tex]1-x[/tex] is positive by definition, while [tex]x-1[/tex] is negative! You took a square root, and got a negative quantity, that's a red flag right there. :)
    Either solve with [tex]1-x[/tex] in the denominator[/tex] instead of [tex]x-1[/tex] or just don't take the square root and solve the quadratic.

4. Jan 1, 2010 #3
    Oops! My bad, I'll look out for that in future. Okay, so if I do it right, I get:
    [tex]
    2(1-x) = \sqrt8(x)
    [/tex]

And then
    [tex]
    2 - 2x = \sqrt8(x)
    [/tex]

... Uh, I still don't know how to go on from there to get [tex]x = \frac{2}{(\sqrt8 + 2)}[/tex], as the textbook says I should end up at.

The "solving the quadratic" bit seems to be my main problem. A giant chunk of GCSE Maths has escaped my memory haha. D: I feel rather daft as the Christmas holidays seem to have wiped my brain of how to do these!

5. Jan 1, 2010 #4
    [tex]2 - 2x = \sqrt8(x)[/tex]

Isolating all the [tex]x[/tex] terms on the left, and all the numbers on the right:

[tex]\sqrt{8}x+2x=2[/tex]
    [tex](\sqrt{8}+2)x=2[/tex]

Dividing both sides by [tex]\sqrt{8}+2[/tex] yields:

[tex]x=\frac{2}{\sqrt{8}+2}[/tex]

Just some basic algebra, grab a book and get to practicing if you're rusty. ;)

6. Jan 1, 2010 #5
    I can't believe this didn't occur to me. I'm feeling pretty silly :f Thankyou so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook