Finding a neutral point, electric fields. Simple algebra.

In summary: I'll have to go revise my algebra now!In summary, the question asks for the distance from a +4C charge where the electric field strength is zero. The solution involves setting the electric field equations for both the +4C and +8C charges equal to each other, leading to a quadratic equation. The mistake in the process was taking a square root which resulted in a negative quantity. The correct solution involves isolating the x terms on one side and the numbers on the other, and then dividing both sides by the sum of the terms with x. This results in the final equation of x = \frac{2}{(\sqrt8 + 2)}, which is the distance from the +4C charge where the electric field strength
SuperCup
This is a question that I'm doing as part of revision for my January mocks. Being bad a algebra in general, I'm stuck. The answer is a worked example and I still don't understand it, so I'm feeling very silly.

Homework Statement

Charges of +4C and +8C are placed 1.00m apart. At what distance from the +4C charge is the electric field strength zero?

Homework Equations

[tex]
E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon r^2}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I picture it like this:

<-----x-----><----------- 1-x ----------->
+4C -------- E=0 ----------------------- +8C

<----------------- 1m ----------------->

So, E due to 4C = E due to 8C
[tex]
\frac{+4}{4\pi\epsilon . x^2} = \frac{+8}{4\pi\epsilon . (x-1)^2}
[/tex]

Simplifying:
[tex]
\frac{4}{x^2} = \frac{8}{(x-1)^2}
[/tex]

Square rooting & cross multiplying:
[tex]
\frac{\sqrt4}{x} = \frac{\sqrt8}{(x-1)}
[/tex]

[tex]
2(x-1) = \sqrt8(x)
[/tex]

It is at this point the textbook worked example says:
Which simplifies to
[tex]
x = \frac{2}{(\sqrt8 + 2)}
[/tex]
This is my problem, I don't know how on Earth it simplified to that. As the textbook hasn't explained the steps I feel silly as it's something probably really easy.

So I tried this:
[tex]
2x- 2 = \sqrt8(x)
[/tex]
And I can't get any further...

I'd really appreciate a simple explanation, thankyou. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake lies in the square root you took!
Notice that [tex]1-x[/tex] is positive by definition, while [tex]x-1[/tex] is negative! You took a square root, and got a negative quantity, that's a red flag right there. :)
Either solve with [tex]1-x[/tex] in the denominator[/tex] instead of [tex]x-1[/tex] or just don't take the square root and solve the quadratic.

RoyalCat said:
Your mistake lies in the square root you took!
Notice that [tex]1-x[/tex] is positive by definition, while [tex]x-1[/tex] is negative! You took a square root, and got a negative quantity, that's a red flag right there. :)
Either solve with [tex]1-x[/tex] in the denominator[/tex] instead of [tex]x-1[/tex] or just don't take the square root and solve the quadratic.

Oops! My bad, I'll look out for that in future. Okay, so if I do it right, I get:
[tex]
2(1-x) = \sqrt8(x)
[/tex]

And then
[tex]
2 - 2x = \sqrt8(x)
[/tex]

... Uh, I still don't know how to go on from there to get [tex]x = \frac{2}{(\sqrt8 + 2)}[/tex], as the textbook says I should end up at.

The "solving the quadratic" bit seems to be my main problem. A giant chunk of GCSE Maths has escaped my memory haha. D: I feel rather daft as the Christmas holidays seem to have wiped my brain of how to do these!

[tex]2 - 2x = \sqrt8(x)[/tex]

Isolating all the [tex]x[/tex] terms on the left, and all the numbers on the right:

[tex]\sqrt{8}x+2x=2[/tex]
[tex](\sqrt{8}+2)x=2[/tex]

Dividing both sides by [tex]\sqrt{8}+2[/tex] yields:

[tex]x=\frac{2}{\sqrt{8}+2}[/tex]

Just some basic algebra, grab a book and get to practicing if you're rusty. ;)

RoyalCat said:
[tex]2 - 2x = \sqrt8(x)[/tex]

Isolating all the [tex]x[/tex] terms on the left, and all the numbers on the right:

[tex]\sqrt{8}x+2x=2[/tex]
[tex](\sqrt{8}+2)x=2[/tex]

Dividing both sides by [tex]\sqrt{8}+2[/tex] yields:

[tex]x=\frac{2}{\sqrt{8}+2}[/tex]

Just some basic algebra, grab a book and get to practicing if you're rusty. ;)

I can't believe this didn't occur to me. I'm feeling pretty silly :f Thankyou so much!

1. What is a neutral point?

A neutral point is a location in an electric field where the net electric field is zero. This means that the forces acting on a charged particle at this point will cancel out, resulting in no movement.

2. How do you find a neutral point?

To find a neutral point, you can use the equation E = Q/4πεr^2, where E is the electric field, Q is the charge of the particle, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the particle to the point in question. Set this equation equal to zero and solve for r to find the distance from the particle to the neutral point.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within the field. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed within the field.

4. How do you calculate electric fields?

Electric fields can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source particle, and r is the distance from the source particle to the point in question. This equation is based on Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Can simple algebra be used to solve problems involving electric fields?

Yes, simple algebra can be used to solve problems involving electric fields. Many equations, such as those for calculating electric fields and neutral points, involve basic algebraic operations such as multiplication, division, and solving for a variable. It is important to understand the relevant equations and how to manipulate them using algebra in order to solve problems involving electric fields.