Find EN Values for Compounds w/ > 2 Elements

• Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation is about finding the EN value for a compound with more than two elements, specifically the compound C6H12O6. The person is unsure if they should subtract all EN values and is confused because they are getting negative numbers. They clarify that "EN" refers to electronegativity and mention using a chart to find the values.
Sace Ver

Homework Statement

How do I find the EN value for a compound with more than two elements?

Homework Equations

C6H12O6

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just subtract all EN values?

I don't think so bc then I get negative numbers so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
"EN Value?" What are you talking about?

Bystander said:
"EN Value?" What are you talking about?
Electronegativity chart and values

"EN" means very little within context; application "out of context" (the carbohydrate formula) is totally meaningless.

Sace Ver said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just subtract all EN values?

I don't think so bc then I get negative numbers so confused.

What exactly do you mean by this?

1. What is the purpose of finding EN values for compounds with more than 2 elements?

The purpose of finding EN (electronegativity) values for compounds with more than 2 elements is to determine the polarity of the compound. Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons towards itself in a chemical bond. By knowing the EN values of each element in a compound, we can predict the type of bond that will form between them, whether it is nonpolar covalent, polar covalent, or ionic.

2. How do you determine the EN values for each element in a compound?

EN values are determined using the Pauling scale, which assigns a numerical value to each element based on its electron affinity and ionization energy. The values range from 0.7 (for cesium) to 4.0 (for fluorine). These values can be found in a periodic table or in reference materials.

3. Can you calculate the EN value for a compound by simply averaging the EN values of its individual elements?

No, the EN value of a compound cannot be calculated by averaging the EN values of its individual elements. This is because the EN values of elements can change depending on the types of bonds they form in a compound. For example, the EN value of oxygen is 3.44 in water (a polar covalent bond) but only 3.16 in carbon dioxide (a nonpolar covalent bond).

4. What is the relationship between EN values and chemical bond type?

The relationship between EN values and chemical bond type is that the larger the difference in EN values between two elements, the more polar the bond between them will be. If the difference is less than 0.5, the bond is considered nonpolar covalent. If the difference is between 0.5 and 2.0, the bond is considered polar covalent. If the difference is greater than 2.0, the bond is considered ionic.

5. Are EN values the only factor that determines the polarity of a compound?

No, EN values are not the only factor that determines the polarity of a compound. The shape of the molecule and the distribution of its electrons also play a role. For example, a molecule with polar bonds can still be nonpolar if it has a symmetrical shape. Additionally, the presence of lone pairs of electrons can affect the overall polarity of a molecule.