Finding the Rate of Change of Shadow: A Man 6 ft Tall

In summary: So 6*y=15*x and y=x+r. Can you differentiate that and reach a conclusion?Sorry about the confusion, but thanks for your help! :)
Amadeus

Homework Statement

A man 6 feet tall walks at a rate of 5 feet per second away from a light that is 15 feet above the ground. When he is 10 feet from the base of the light,

(A) at what rate is the tip of his shadow moving?
(B) at what rate is the length of his shadow changing?

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far...
dr/dt = 5 ft/sec
dx/dt = unknown
h = 10

Since the man is walking away, his shadow is getting bigger (right?).

for (A) I guess I'm suppose to find dx/dt since I already know what dy/dt is. But my question is which equation will work between the y and the x?

for (B) same question but my friend told me that it was a proportion; as in x/y = 6/15 but I'm not sure if that's right - even if it is, I'm still lost...

Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you maybe say what r,h,x and y mean to you? I can guess what some might mean, but it's still confusing.

Ok, I'm going to guess. r=dist from man to flagpole. x=dist from man to end of shadow. y=dist from end of shadow to flagpole. So y=x+r. h is the same thing as r, right? Then your friend is right 6/x=15/y. They are similar triangles. So 6*y=15*x and y=x+r. Can you differentiate that and reach a conclusion?

Sorry about the confusion, but thanks for your help! :)

I tried to differentiate it but I got the wrong answer (15 for part B)...

My differentiation looks something like this:
6y*dy/dt = 15x*dx/dt

Maybe I screwed up my differentiation...

Ok, so 6y=15x. How does differentiating that give you something like 6y*dy/dt?

Amadeus said:
for (B) same question but my friend told me that it was a proportion; as in x/y = 6/15 but I'm not sure if that's right - even if it is, I'm still lost...
similar triangles

Related to Finding the Rate of Change of Shadow: A Man 6 ft Tall

1. What is the significance of finding the rate of change of shadow?

The rate of change of shadow is an important concept in the field of mathematics and physics. It allows us to understand how the length of a shadow changes over time and how it is affected by different factors such as the position of the sun and the height of an object.

2. How is the rate of change of shadow calculated for a man 6 ft tall?

The rate of change of shadow for a man 6 ft tall can be calculated by using the formula Δy/Δx = y2-y1/x2-x1, where y represents the length of the shadow and x represents the distance between the man and the light source. By plugging in the values of the initial and final length of the shadow for different distances, we can find the average rate of change.

3. What factors can affect the rate of change of shadow for a man 6 ft tall?

The main factors that can affect the rate of change of shadow for a man 6 ft tall are the position of the sun, the height of the object, and the distance between the object and the light source. Other factors such as the angle of the light source and the terrain can also have an impact on the rate of change of shadow.

4. How can the rate of change of shadow be used in real-life applications?

The rate of change of shadow has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, astronomy, and photography. It can be used to determine the optimal placement of buildings for maximum sunlight, to track the movement of celestial bodies, and to create dramatic lighting effects in photography.

5. Is there a way to measure the rate of change of shadow without using mathematical formulas?

While mathematical formulas are the most accurate way to calculate the rate of change of shadow, there are also other methods that can be used. These include using a sundial, observing the shadow's movement over a set time period, or using a shadow tracker app on a smartphone. However, these methods may not be as precise as mathematical calculations.