Finding Vector Components in Different Directions

In summary, the component of the force in the direction of the vector 3\hat{i} + 2\hat{j} - 6\hat{k} is <2\hat{i}, -2\hat{j}, -\hat{k}>.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

Find the component of the force [tex]\vec{F} = 2\hat{i} - 2\hat{j} + \hat{k}[/tex] in:

a) the direction [tex](\hat{i} + \hat{j} - \hat{k})/\sqrt{3}[/tex]

b) the direction of the vector [tex]3\hat{i} + 2\hat{j} - 6\hat{k}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]dir \vec{A} = \vec{A}/|\vec{A}|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I broke [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] down into components [tex]<2\hat{i}, 2\hat{j}, \hat{k}>[/tex]. Then I figured that F goes [tex]2\hat{i}[/tex] in direction [tex]i[/tex], goes [tex]-2\hat{j}[/tex] in direction [tex]j[/tex], then goes [tex]-\hat{k}[/tex] in direction [tex]k[/tex], giving an overall Force component of [tex]<2\hat{i}, -2\hat{j}, -\hat{k}>[/tex].

b) I did the same thing and since the signs in each direction were the same as in a), I ended up with the same answer: [tex]<2\hat{i}, -2\hat{j}, -\hat{k}>[/tex].

It seems to make sense, but I am pretty uncertain, so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are looking for is the projection of the force vector, [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] on the vector giving the direction, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Imagine a line extended in the direction of the given vector to be projected on and a line segment representing the force vector, having the same beginning point. Dropping a perpendicular to the line from the end of the segment, you have a right triangle with hypotenuse the force vector. Since [itex]cos \theta[/itex] is "near side over hypotenuse", the "near side", the length of the projection, is [itex]|\vec{u}|cos(\theta)[/itex].

You also need to know that [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]\vec{u}|cos(\theta)= \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex]. That is the length of the projection. To get it as a vector, multiply by the unit vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], [itex]\vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex] which gives
[tex]\frac{\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}}{|\vec{v}|^2}\vec{v}[/tex].

(For the vector in (a), [itex]|\vec{v}|= 1[/itex], for (b), it is 7.)

So we're imagining a right triangle in which the given [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] is the adjacent side, and the hypotenuse is the line segment stretching from the origin to the point where a perpendicular from the end of [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] crosses the line formed by an infinite extension of [tex]<\hat{i} + \hat{j} - \hat{k}>/\sqrt{3}[/tex].

Then you say that the length of the projection is [tex]|\vec{u}|cos\theta[/tex]. What exactly is [tex]\vec{u}[/tex]?

1. What is a vector and force component?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. Force is a vector quantity that measures the interaction between two objects. A force component is a part of a force that acts in a specific direction.

2. How do you calculate vector components?

To calculate vector components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. For example, to find the x-component of a vector, you can use the formula: x = magnitude * cos(angle).

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How do vector components affect overall force?

Vector components can affect overall force by changing the direction or magnitude of the force. For example, if two forces are acting in opposite directions, their vector components will cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. Can vectors and force components be negative?

Yes, vectors and force components can be negative. A negative vector or force component indicates a direction opposite to the positive direction, which is typically chosen as the direction of motion or force. Negative vectors and force components are often represented by an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the positive vector or force component.