Finding work done by object along circular helix: Line Integral

In summary, the problem involves an object weighing 1.2 pounds traveling along a helix given by x=cost, y=sint, z=4t, 0<=t<=8pi and the task is to find the work done by this object. The necessary equations for solving this problem include g=32.174 ft/s2, f=m*g, and f=w*d. The attempted solution involves defining a function r(t) and using the F(w) formula to find the force of gravity acting on the object. However, there is some confusion about the relationship between weight and force, and whether 1.2 pounds can be used as the force in this case.
yolanda

Homework Statement

An object weighing 1.2 pounds travels along a helix given by x=cost, y=sint, z=4t, 0<=t<=8pi. Find the work done by the object.

Let's keep this in ft.

Homework Equations

g=32.174 ft/s2
f=m*g
f=w*d

The Attempt at a Solution

r(t)=cos(t)i+sin(t)j+4(t)k

I know I need an F function, but I'm not sure how to find it.

w=[tex]\int[/tex] F(dot)dr
w=[tex]\int[/tex]F(r(t)) (dot) r'(t) dt

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are working against gravity, which is directed downward. So figure out the force f of gravity on your object and use

[tex]\vec F = \langle 0,0,-f\rangle[/tex]

This is the work done by the force, opposite the work done by the object.

Thank you for your response. This may sound a bit stupid, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right force here...

Weight is the mass of an object with a force acting upon it. I'm not sure how much the equations f=ma and weight=m*gravity "overlap", if you will. Can I just say 1.2=mass*gravity? That would mean that the force is 1.2 pounds... do you see what I'm confused about here?

Thanks again for your help!

1.2 pounds is a unit of force in the English system. And work is measured in foot-pounds which gives the right units for w = fd in the English system.

yolanda said:
Weight is the mass of an object with a force acting upon it.
Weight is a force. The formula F = ma gives the force F acting on an object of mass m under an acceleration a.

In the SI system, a mass of 1 kg at the surface of the Earth exerts a force downward of 1kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 1 Nt. In the English system, a mass of 1 slug at the surface of the Earth exerts a force downward of 1 slug* 32 ft/sec^2 = 32 lb.
yolanda said:
I'm not sure how much the equations f=ma and weight=m*gravity "overlap", if you will. Can I just say 1.2=mass*gravity? That would mean that the force is 1.2 pounds... do you see what I'm confused about here?

They overlap considerably, but the F = ma formula applies more generally for any kind of acceleration, not just that due to gravity.

Related to Finding work done by object along circular helix: Line Integral

1. What is a circular helix?

A circular helix is a three-dimensional curve that is formed by revolving a line around a central axis while also moving along the axis. It is similar to a spiral, but with a constant radius and pitch.

2. How is work done by an object along a circular helix calculated?

The work done by an object along a circular helix is calculated using a line integral. This involves integrating the dot product of the force applied on the object and the tangent vector to the helix curve over the length of the curve.

3. What is the significance of finding work done by an object along a circular helix?

Finding the work done by an object along a circular helix can help us understand the energy and forces involved in its motion. It is also useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the energy expenditure of a rotating object.

4. Can the work done by an object along a circular helix be negative?

Yes, the work done by an object along a circular helix can be negative if the force applied on the object is in the opposite direction to its motion. This indicates that energy is being transferred from the object to its surroundings.

5. Are there any real-life examples of circular helix motion?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of circular helix motion, such as the motion of a rollercoaster on a loop, the motion of a particle in a magnetic field, and the motion of a screw or spiral staircase. It is also commonly observed in the motion of objects in circular or spiral orbits, such as planets around the sun.