1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding work done by object along circular helix: Line Integral

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object weighing 1.2 pounds travels along a helix given by x=cost, y=sint, z=4t, 0<=t<=8pi. Find the work done by the object.

Let's keep this in ft.

2. Relevant equations
    g=32.174 ft/s2
    f=m*g
    f=w*d

3. The attempt at a solution

r(t)=cos(t)i+sin(t)j+4(t)k

I know I need an F function, but I'm not sure how to find it.

w=[tex]\int[/tex] F(dot)dr
    w=[tex]\int[/tex]F(r(t)) (dot) r'(t) dt

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are working against gravity, which is directed downward. So figure out the force f of gravity on your object and use

[tex]\vec F = \langle 0,0,-f\rangle[/tex]

This is the work done by the force, opposite the work done by the object.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your response. This may sound a bit stupid, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right force here...

Weight is the mass of an object with a force acting upon it. I'm not sure how much the equations f=ma and weight=m*gravity "overlap", if you will. Can I just say 1.2=mass*gravity? That would mean that the force is 1.2 pounds... do you see what I'm confused about here?

Thanks again for your help!

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1.2 pounds is a unit of force in the English system. And work is measured in foot-pounds which gives the right units for w = fd in the English system.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Weight is a force. The formula F = ma gives the force F acting on an object of mass m under an acceleration a.

In the SI system, a mass of 1 kg at the surface of the earth exerts a force downward of 1kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 1 Nt. In the English system, a mass of 1 slug at the surface of the earth exerts a force downward of 1 slug* 32 ft/sec^2 = 32 lb.
    They overlap considerably, but the F = ma formula applies more generally for any kind of acceleration, not just that due to gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook