What was your first physics book and why did you choose it?

In summary: Additionally, I felt that the problems were not always representative of what we learned in class. In summary, the conversation is about the participants' first encounters with physics and the textbooks they used. One individual used Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt in high school and then Giancoli's books for IB and university courses. Another did not have a physics textbook in high school and is not a fan of the recommended University Physics book. They also discuss the depth and difficulty of the books and their personal preferences.
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member
I was just curious on what was everyone's first Physics book, or what was their first encounter with Physics?

My first academic physics book that was not calculus based was my junior year of high school and was Conceptual Physics: The High School Physics Program by Paul G. Hewitt, and then later when I took IB physics used the IB Physics book, but used Giancoli's Physics: Principles with Applications 3rd edition, and now at University of California Santa Cruz I'm using Giancoli's 4th edition book for my first calculus based physics course.

Physics news on Phys.org
They didn't give us a physics textbook in high school, at least not that I remember. The one my university recommends in University Physics, but I'm personally not a fan of that one.

fezster said:
They didn't give us a physics textbook in high school, at least not that I remember. The one my university recommends in University Physics, but I'm personally not a fan of that one.

Oh yes, one of my friends used that book (he was an international student from India) in high school, and I think it was pretty in depth with the derivations that it went through. Was there a particular reason why you were not a fan of the book?

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Oh yes, one of my friends used that book (he was an international student from India) in high school, and I think it was pretty in depth with the derivations that it went through. Was there a particular reason why you were not a fan of the book?
Personally, I found that it went too in-depth with concepts that were easy to understand, and then went over the more difficult concepts pretty quickly.

1. What topics are covered in the first book of a physics course?

In the first book of a physics course, you can expect to learn about fundamental concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and matter. You will also cover introductory topics in mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism.

2. Is the first book in a physics course suitable for beginners?

Yes, the first book in a physics course is designed to introduce students to the basic principles of physics. It assumes no prior knowledge and is suitable for beginners.

3. How does the first book in a physics course differ from other science textbooks?

The first book in a physics course is unique because it focuses specifically on the principles and laws that govern the physical world. It also emphasizes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the study of physics.

4. What is the format of the first book in a physics course?

The format of the first book in a physics course typically includes text, diagrams, and examples to explain concepts. It may also include practice problems and exercises to reinforce learning.

5. Is the first book in a physics course applicable to real-world situations?

Yes, the first book in a physics course covers fundamental principles that can be applied to real-world situations. Understanding these principles can help explain natural phenomena and improve our understanding of the world around us.